Switching

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  JUNOS primary partition corrupted due to power loss

Posted 06-05-2013 05:05
    Hi All, I am using JUNOS version 10.4R8.5 on my EX switches, which is running on resilient dual-root partition. Been experiencing power loss in the building. And this always causes primary partition detects as corrupted, and the device boots from the backup partition. Would like to get some advise, have anyone experience the same issue? Or is there a more stable version of JUNOS. I am considering of upgrading JUNOS, any recommendation? Thanks.

• 2.  RE: JUNOS primary partition corrupted due to power loss

Posted 06-05-2013 06:24

Hi,

I always experience Junos booting in Backup image but not in dual-root partition.

Have you tried to check the JTAC Recommendation release for your EX switch?

Here is the link for it:

http://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB21476

• 3.  RE: JUNOS primary partition corrupted due to power loss
    Best Answer

Posted 06-10-2013 06:58

JunOS 12.3 introduces "Automatic repair of corrupted partition when booting from alternate partition". I'd give that a long hard look. It's an EEOL release, so you'll be able to move to it from 10.4.

JTAC are still recommending 11.4, the previous EEOL release, at this point. If power outages are infrequent, you might want to wait a little longer until 12.3 is further along in its cycle, when JTAC recommends it. R2 was released late March, so R3 should be around soon, mid to late June judging by the official 8-10 week schedule.

If power outages are frequent, and this is a major concern, it might be worth looking into moving to the new release sooner rather than later.

• 4.  RE: JUNOS primary partition corrupted due to power loss

Posted 06-10-2013 09:29
    Didn't realize they actually have such release. Thanks for the info. Anyway here is the release notes: http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos12.3/information-products/topic-collections/release-notes/12.3/index.html Automatic repair of corrupted partition when booting from alternate partition—Resilient dual-root partitioning has been enhanced to include an automatic snapshot feature. If the automatic snapshot feature is enabled and the system reboots from the alternate root partition, the switch automatically takes a snapshot of the Junos OS root file system in the alternate root partition and copies it to the primary root partition. This automatic snapshot procedure takes place whenever the system reboots from the alternate root partition, regardless of whether the reboot is due to a command or due to corruption of the primary root partition. [See Understanding Resilient Dual-Root Partitions on Switches.]