Switching

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
Expand all | Collapse all

Juniper EX4300MP activity LED's

• 1.  Juniper EX4300MP activity LED's

Posted 04-25-2019 05:10

It is a bit unusual and I could not find any reference to this behavior:

On this switch, EX4300MP  some activity LED's are lit when there is nothing plugged into the port. Not just lit green, sometimes it will be blinking green as there is traffic on port and sometimes it is lit but the color is PINK!?. No, I'm not color blind but I've noticed it is only happening on 10g copper ports.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

• 2.  RE: Juniper EX4300MP activity LED's

Posted 04-25-2019 06:29

Blinking green probably means LED's are set to PoE status mode, and PoE is enabled on that port but not active.

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/release-independent/junos/topics/topic-map/ex4300-chassis.html#table-ex4300-48mp-rj45-nw-port-status-led

I'm not sure about pink, but 10g is supposed to be blue.

• 3.  RE: Juniper EX4300MP activity LED's

Posted 04-25-2019 06:56

Thanks for reply Smicker.

Yes, the PoE is disabled but LED activity is happing, it seems, on random ports only (currently only 4 ports). Also, the green LED light intensity is at least twice as bright when compared to a regular activity LED...

• 4.  RE: Juniper EX4300MP activity LED's

Posted 04-25-2019 08:07

"the green LED light intensity is at least twice as bright when compared to a regular activity LED..." => I assume you mean for a 10GE Base-T connection, vs a 1GE Base-T connection, yes?  I am thinking 10GE would/should have a LOT more activity, so likely LED would be brighter??  That is, maybe expected behavior?

As for other discussion, might you be able to capture a video of the activity for us to see?

I would also hope you have a TAC case opened for this, yes?

• 5.  RE: Juniper EX4300MP activity LED's

Posted 04-25-2019 12:53

Another user have similar questions: https://forums.juniper.net/t5/Ethernet-Switching/4300-48MP-LED-lights-and-what-they-may-mean/td-p/453061

..and from the picture it looks quite strange to me that only a few ports have active led's. I don't expect a lot of mixed configuration across the interfaces.

But yes, pictures and/or videos would help a lot when contacting JTAC 🙂

• 6.  RE: Juniper EX4300MP activity LED's

Posted 04-25-2019 17:28

I've seen the behavior of link light on with no connection with copper sfp inserted on ports from time to time.  

We have seen that not all copper sfp are compatible with Juniper slots.

Can you identify the brands involved on the slots?

fill in the fpc and pic number in this command 

show chassis pic fpc-slot # pic-slot #

• 7.  RE: Juniper EX4300MP activity LED's

Posted 04-26-2019 07:39

Thanks again for replies but it was unusual that search engines did not show post linked above. 

Anyway...I do have a ticket open but support told me "it works as intended" which I highly disagree with - these lights are random which cannot be "working as intended" thing.

There are no sfp involved as this is a new fixed rj45, 48 ports switch with 24 capable of 10gbps. A couple of videos are attached to show what exactly is going on.

• 8.  RE: Juniper EX4300MP activity LED's

Posted 04-26-2019 08:47

FYI, I do not see the videos being attached.  What was your case number?

• 9.  RE: Juniper EX4300MP activity LED's

Posted 04-26-2019 09:14

blinking blue & 2inkblinking blue & 2inkpic1.PNGBlinking  blue & pink2Blinking blue & pink22019-0425-0568 and not sure why uploaded videos are not showing in the forms but I hope pics will...

• 10.  RE: Juniper EX4300MP activity LED's

Posted 04-26-2019 16:26

Agree this all looks non standard.  Can you confirm there are no alarms.

show chassis alarms

show system alarms

As for the forums, when you attach anything to a post you have to log in first.  So log into the forums BEFORE hitting the reply button.  Instead of after posting a reply.

You can use the edit option on the upper right side of your own post to add attachements in after the fact as well.

• 11.  RE: Juniper EX4300MP activity LED's

Posted 04-26-2019 17:23

Thanks for reply spuluka,

That's what is odd about all this. First thing I've check is for any alarms and there is none. Also, 

As for forums, I was logged in and video would upload but it would not "stick".  I even changed the format of the video a few times but didn't help.

Regards,

T

• 12.  RE: Juniper EX4300MP activity LED's
    Best Answer

Posted 04-27-2019 05:18

Ok, so the led status being odd along with no alarms seems to me pretty clearly either a software bug or hardware issue.

I would push for escalation and review on the ticket to find out which.  A cosmetic software bug might be ok to continue until the fix is in.  But without accepting the report you never get a PR logged or a fix.  And if it is a hardware issue you definately need to press for a resolution on whether or not it is a service affecting problem.

For the forum issue, post a separate thread  in the community feedback forum.  List the file types you were attempting to add and the fact there were no feedback messages on the process.  The Juniper forum mods monitor posts in that forum to fix issues here.

• 13.  RE: Juniper EX4300MP activity LED's

Posted 05-03-2019 03:46

UPDATE: After a couple of escalations of the ticket, I have received confirmation; This issue is a bug and they are working on the patch.

Regards,

T

• 14.  RE: Juniper EX4300MP activity LED's

Posted 05-04-2019 03:06

Thanks for the update.  Glad to hear it is just a bug and the fix is in progress.

• 15.  RE: Juniper EX4300MP activity LED's

Posted 05-10-2019 10:01

After firmware upgrade LEDs are working as intended.

Firmware file provided by Juniper support.

Thank you all.

• 16.  RE: Juniper EX4300MP activity LED's

Posted 05-10-2019 10:17

Thanks for the info.

Can you provide the PR number for other to refer to? and were you informed if the firmware would be included in later Junos releases?

• 17.  RE: Juniper EX4300MP activity LED's

Posted 05-10-2019 10:32

@jonashauge - great minds think alike -:)   PR # is 1429327, which is associated with another PR # 1415107.  Looks like fix is going into:

18.2R3

18.3R3

18.4R2

19.1R2

19.2R2 (too late for R1, I believe)

19.x and above

HTH

• 18.  RE: Juniper EX4300MP activity LED's

Posted 05-10-2019 14:11

Thanks for the update.  Glad the fix is in and working.

• 19.  RE: Juniper EX4300MP activity LED's

Posted 05-22-2019 05:59

Unfortunately, Issue is back and after almost two weeks I have two ports lit green...