Ethernet Switching
Ethernet Switching

L2 instance on EX

‎10-01-2019 05:22 AM

I need a separate l2 switching domain with a separate vlan-id space on the EX. It seems that this feature is supported on the EX:

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/concept/layer-2-services-virtual-switch-ove...

but I can not tell on what models / versions? Checked a few EX-es (ELS and no ELS) and cannot find “instance-type virtual-switch” on them…

"(Also tried the Feature Explorer, but cannot find the name of this feature thhere.)

Thanks in advance for help!

Regards,

Pawel Mazurkiewicz

3 REPLIES 3
Ethernet Switching

Re: L2 instance on EX

‎10-01-2019 05:35 AM

Hi Pawel,

Routing instance type virtual-switch is supported on MX Series routers, EX9200 switches, and QFX switches only.

Reference: https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/reference/configuration-statement/instance-...

Thanks,
Pradeep
Please Mark My Solution Accepted if it Helped, Kudos are Appreciated too!!!

Ethernet Switching

‎10-01-2019 01:23 PM

pmazurkiewicz you have a couple of options.  1 would be to just create the L2 only VLAN/subnet.  As long as no L3, these devices should only be able to talk to each other - the devices would need to L3 Def Gateway as it would be useless.

Option 2 is to create a routing-instance of virtual-router (supported on EX, both legacy and newer ELS based platforms) but just do not assign any L3 interfaces to members of this routing-instance.  In this case, routing-instance of virtual-router will act like virtual-switch.

I believe the actual difference between virtual-switch and virtual-router with no L3, is that vritual-switch knob may not allow any L3 to even be created.

Good Luck and HTH.

Ethernet Switching

‎10-10-2019 08:23 AM

I will try this (routing-instance of type "virtual-router"). The L2 VLAN would not do, as what I need is to separate L2 forwarding instances using the same vlan-ids and all.

Thanks!