Switching

last person joined: 13 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  LACP required in a EVPN/VXLAN solution when connecting an ae interface to ESXI with NIC teaming?

Posted 12-17-2019 08:17

Hi Experts,

Preparing to migrate from juniper qfx5100-VC solution to an qfx5100 EVPN/VXLAN.

In the leagacy setup the ae interface has no LACP configured when connected to an ESXI vswitch (with NIC teaming).

Is it  a requirment to have LACP configured on the ae interface when changing to an EVPN/VXLAN solution?

Even if it's not a requirment I can see alot of disadvantages not to have it.

As I understand it, you must also switch to distributed switch in ESXI if LACP should be used.

Which configuration solution for QFX is best practiced when the other end is an ESXI server with NIC teaming?

• 2.  RE: LACP required in a EVPN/VXLAN solution when connecting an ae interface to ESXI with NIC teaming?

Posted 12-17-2019 08:41

I think it is better to configure lacp,

- lacp use keepalive to check link is ok, and will not forward any packets when link is up but lacp is down

- lacp will prevent you from creating l2 loop or packet drop , in case of miscabling and connecting one of cable to wrong port. 

• 3.  RE: LACP required in a EVPN/VXLAN solution when connecting an ae interface to ESXI with NIC teaming?

Posted 12-17-2019 12:41
    Hi,
    I agree that LACP is prefered.
    But is it mandatory in an EVPN setup?

//Niklas

• 4.  RE: LACP required in a EVPN/VXLAN solution when connecting an ae interface to ESXI with NIC teaming?
    Best Answer

Posted 01-13-2020 00:45

Hi Niklas

No there is no specific requirement of LACP in the EVPN/VXLAN enviornment. 

Thanks