Ethernet Switching
Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

MC-LAG between two VCFs

‎08-16-2017 09:34 AM

Hi all.

Can the two non-mixed VCFs (Virtual Chassis Fabric) form MC-LAG please?  Meaning each VCF will be MC-LAG peer.

The search in documentation (VCF feature guide / VCF best practises) and forums didn't gave me the clear answer.

The customer wants each server room to be one manageable entity. I would prefer to create one bigger VCF spanning through both server roooms though.

The each server room will have VCF made from 2xQFX5100-24Q as spines and 5x QFX5100-48S/ QFX5100-48T as leaves.

Thank you.

Regards
Ludek Matousek

Regards
Luděk Matoušek
JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SP, JNCIP-SEC, JNCIA-DevOps
4 REPLIES 4
Ethernet Switching
Solution
Accepted by topic author Luděk Matoušek
‎08-16-2017 01:29 PM

Re: MC-LAG between two VCFs

‎08-16-2017 09:40 AM

I am fairly certain the answer is no.  A node/switch can be configured as either MC-LAG or VCF/VC, not both at the same time.

Now you could connect the 2 x VCF to another pair of switches which are configured to be a MC-LAG pair.

I am not sure of the complete requirements, but making this into a single larger VCF would appear to be a good idea.

Ethernet Switching

‎08-16-2017 10:25 AM

MC-LAG is not supported on a standard VC (we found out the hard way with a pair of 24Q's) so I assume not on VCF as well.

Ethernet Switching

‎08-16-2017 01:40 PM

Thank you both rccpgm and smicker.

I had feeling that this configuration is likely not supported. Accepted as solved.

Regards
Luděk Matoušek
JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SP, JNCIP-SEC, JNCIA-DevOps
Ethernet Switching

‎11-05-2017 03:04 AM

Thanks. You are correct.