Ethernet Switching
Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

MVRP & GVRP Support for EX2200 - Critical

‎01-24-2011 01:20 AM

We have EX4200 at our Core and EX2200 at the edge. We realized that GVRP/MVRP is still not available on EX2200 and it is a big set back considering we will not be able to propogate VLANS automatically from our EX4200.

This is a very basic feature and we are surprised the same is not supported on EX2200.

Any idea how we can work around through this problem ?

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

Re: MVRP & GVRP Support for EX2200 - Critical

‎01-25-2011 03:04 PM
The only one that i know is to trunk all vlans between core and edge from very begining. I believe that uplink ports between 4200 and 2200 are trusted when all network is under your control

I tried to investigate gvrp on edge ex without results about 6 months ago.

Regards,
Alexey
Era
Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

[ Edited ]
‎01-28-2011 01:11 PM

If MVRP and GVRP was a requirement for the edge, an EX4200 should have been used.  The EX4200 also provides the virtual-chassis feature which provides better performance on the edge as well.

There are plans to support 802.1ak on the EX2200, but it isn't available today.  The EX2200 is a solution to a very specific problem.  It's a price competitive, entry-level switch designed to be used in a branch office with POE.

Doug Hanks
JNCIE-ENT #213, JNCIE-SP #875

Follow me on Twitter @douglashanksjr
Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

‎01-28-2011 08:40 PM

Doung,

Just for MVRP and GVRP i think its not a better idea to buy the EX4200 r EX3200 it seems like the

L3 swicth to use at the access level which is cost effective and mainly at the access level we will

noit have the rack space to fit it as it will come in large dimentions at the depth.

U r saying there are palns to support 802.1 ak they should have done this before relesing the product

after pepople buying the product and not having the desired basic needs will lost hope on the brand and product

If juniper EX2200 needs to survive in the market for a longer peroid they should give the basic L2 protocls in it

and lastly its not price competative i tell we can get a lot more other vendor switches cheeper than this Ex2200

For the posted guy if he is really looking at the GVRP i suggest to buy D-Link which has this feature so that the

purpose is sorted out with a minimum cost may be some 50% of the juniper Ex2200.I attach the data sheet for

his reference

RAM

RAMS

Attachments

Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

‎01-28-2011 08:42 PM

Dear Ali,

I replied to doung reg this u can have a look and i am one of them who is facing the same issue

RAM

RAMS
Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

‎02-21-2011 11:36 AM

Just as a note, I am in agreement with the post creator.

This should be available on the 2200 in my oppinion.  It is available on the SRX 210 which is even lower cost that the EX2200 so why not roll it here too.

If my post helped you, please feel free to give me kudos.
Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

‎05-18-2011 01:34 PM

Wow. These posts made my day.

Agreed it should be included with the EX2200, and I'm sure it will be (if it isn't already). 

However, that's no excuse for not reading and understanding the datasheets of the product you purchased. A switch is an expensive investment... you'd think it would make sense to at least research it before buying. 

That being said, just create the VLANs yourself. That's typically the way it's done anyway.

--
Chris Jones
JNCIE-ENT #272
Former JNCIP-SP
Former CCIE #25655
Former Juniper Ambassador
Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

‎09-05-2011 05:13 PM

Just to close this one off - MVRP is now available on EX2200 in 11.3R1

Ben Dale