Ethernet Switching
Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

Measurement on the loop on the ex4600 switch.

Thursday

Hello, the Juniper community.

I generate traffic towards the EX4600 switch (EXFO) and I would like the traffic to go back through the physical loop on the optical port.

I did this measurement on EX4200 using the "no-mac-learning" option but in the case of EX4600 it does not work.

How to do it on EX4600? Is it possible at all?

Piotr Najduk

Network Engineer.

4 REPLIES
Ethernet Switching

Re: Measurement on the loop on the ex4600 switch.

Thursday

Did you check ethernet-switching table to make sure no-mac-learning is actually set properly for your vlan in question?  See here for details:

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/example/mac-learning-vlan-qfx-series-disabl...

If you are trying to perform this action at the interface level, not sure if actually supported on both platforms or not -Smiley Sad

Good luck and HTH.

Ethernet Switching

Thursday

Thanks for the answer.

Learning MAC addresses I have disabled as below:

EX4600-Pomiar> show configuration vlans pomiar700
vlan-id 700;
switch-options {
     no-mac-learning;
}

I check if it works like this:

EX4600-Pomiar> show ethernet-switching table vlan-id 700

Master {0}
EX4600-Pomiar>

I only see incoming traffic on port xe-0/0/0 but the switch does not forward them to port xe-0/0/23

EX4600-Pomiar> show vlans 700

Routing instance VLAN name Tag Interfaces
default-switch pomiar700 700
                                                            xe-0/0/0.0 *
                                                            xe-0/0/23.0 *

Master {0}

Port 23 has an optical module SFP+ with a patchcord loop. The rstp protocol is disabled.

I made a sniff of measuring traffic and I see that the source and destination MAC addresses are the same.

And this is probably the reason why traffic is not forwarded. However, why disabling the mac addresses learning for this vlan does not solve the problem?

Ethernet Switching

Thursday

Sorry no idea, but the source and destination MAC are the same?  is there any way on EXFO to change this, and see what happens?

I assume EXFO set-up the same works with EX4200, yes?

Just note that EX4200 and EX4600 are based upon different chipsets from different vendors, so actual implementation of any feature/function could be different.

Ethernet Switching

Thursday

We used one EXFO meter with the Y.1564 test to measure. That's why there is a physical loop on the swtich side.

Normally two meters are used for such tests. I remember that measurement like the one on the EX4200 was able to be performed.

Thank you for your answers.

Regards.