Switching

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Missing ezSetup, even after Factory Reset

Posted 07-12-2012 09:29

So, I am having fits with this problem.  I've setup 10 of these ex4200 switches and never had an issue with ezSetup, but for some reason on this new switch the option refuses to show up.  Here is the info:

ex4200-24p

11.4R1.6

Any recommendations?

• 2.  RE: Missing ezSetup, even after Factory Reset

Posted 07-12-2012 09:39

It seems to be an issue with my firmware.  Now I am looking into upgrading pre-setup as I have never had to do that. 

• 3.  RE: Missing ezSetup, even after Factory Reset

Posted 07-12-2012 13:28

Ok, it seems I have a firmware that won't do ezsetup and is literally a blank slate when I cli into it. So, I guess I need to upgrade, but I don't know how without running ezsetup and finishing the initial setup. I've tried deleting the config files directly, but no luck.

• 4.  RE: Missing ezSetup, even after Factory Reset
    Best Answer

Posted 07-12-2012 15:30

For anyone with a version of the firmware that has the ezsetup bug, here is what I had to do.  This requres you setting up an anonymous ftp server.  I used filezilla server.  Here are the steps I used:

1. Connect to the console port
    2. Use putty to access the switch
    3. Type "cli" (without the quotes) and hit "enter" to get to the command line interface
    4. Then type "configure" and hit enter.
    5. Now we need to set an ip for the management port.  Run this command: set interfaces me0.0 family inet ipaddress/subnet where that is an accessible ip and subnet on your network, and hit enter.
    6. Now we need to commit these changes, but first we must set an ip for root.  Run: set system root-authentication plain-text-password and then hit enter.  It will prompt you for a new password.
    7. After the password is set, type "commit" and hit enter.  This will set the ip of the management poirt.
    8. Now you can connect the mgmt port on the back to the same network your ftp server is on.  
    9. Download the latest firmware and place it in your default FTP folder.  Make sure you configure the server for anonymous FTP or else it won't work (FYI this works with http servers as well).
    10. Now run the upgrade command, just replace my-ip with your ftp server. This is what I ran: request system software add ftp://my-ip/jinstall-ex-4200-12.1R2.9-domestic-signed.tgz and hit enter
    11. Runt he reboot command when asked and once it is finished you will be fully upgraded.  Once upgraded you will be able to run ezSetup after one more factory reset.  

I hope this helps anyone who is having a similar issue.  For some reason I found it tough to find Juniper's technical documentation on the cli.

• 5.  RE: Missing ezSetup, even after Factory Reset

Posted 07-15-2012 08:37

Or you could just plug in a flash drive with the image and enter boot loader.

install --format file:///jinstall-ex-4200-12.1R2.9-domestic-signed.tgz