Ethernet Switching
Ethernet Switching

Mixed VC member renumber

‎08-24-2016 01:44 PM

Hello all,

Long story short, existing production virtual chassis mixed with EX4500 and EX4200 devices.  Discovered VC cables are not wired correctly and an EX4500 is set to master with an EX4200 set to backup.  We want to get the wiring correct in addition to making the setup NSSU compatible.  I know the commands to move member IDs but this requires us to swap an EX4200 (node 1) with an EX4500 (node 2).  My question is what is going to happen when I move these around?  Will changing the member IDs also correct the programming so anything that was 1/0/* will change to 2/0/* and vice versa?  If not will I have to just manually make the changes and make sure I map the ports correctly and change any other relevant programming?

Attached picture is the current wiring and how it is supposed to be after the change.  Thanks and let me know if you would need more information.

Attachments

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

Re: Mixed VC member renumber

‎08-24-2016 02:32 PM

Why do you feel you need to change member numbers as part of master status change? It's not clear to me why you are going through the trouble of renumbering members and rerunning VC cables. Otherwise yes you will need to manually renumber all of your changed interfaces in the configuration.

Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

‎08-25-2016 06:24 AM

Unless I read it incorrectly, according to Juniper NSSU best practices it is recommended to have your master and backup adjacent to each other and you shouldn't have an EX4200 backup to an EX4500.  Also it looks like the VC isn't even wired properly according to Juniper documentation.

That's what I figured but I was hoping there was something easier.

Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

‎08-25-2016 06:46 AM

Hi, 

As from Junos 11.4, in a mix of EX4500 & EX4200 VC any switch can be configured for any role.

http://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/release-independent/junos/topics/reference/requirements/v...

I don't think there are any strict rules for the VC wiring as long as there is adequate resilency/redundancy.

http://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/release-independent/junos/topics/reference/requirements/c...

A change in member IDs would require a manual change in the configuration to swap the fpc number around on the interface naming.

Cheers,

Ashvin

Feedback