Switching

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Possible to have multiple vme interfaces?

Posted 03-22-2019 07:10

Hi guys,

I have an EX4200-48T VC with 4 members. The vme.0 is already configured and working. Now I need another management interface and I was thinking If i could configure another vme interface (e.g vme.10) on the VC and use one of the free MGT port on the switch.

vme.0 is connected to ge interface on switch A

vme.10 will be connected to ge interface on switch B

Will it work? If yes, does Juniper recommend doing this i.e having multiple management interfaces?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Possible to have multiple vme interfaces?

Posted 03-22-2019 07:39

NO

you can have only one vme it is available over any me. interface and you get directly connected to the RE, independent of input switch.

regards

alexander

• 3.  RE: Possible to have multiple vme interfaces?
    Best Answer

Posted 03-22-2019 14:56

Hi I agree with the last reply, 

vme you can only have one, you could configure 2 me0 interfaces one for the master and one for the backup as explained here:

https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB25724

vme stands for virtual management ethernet, it is basically a virtual interface that you can reach through any of the members of a VC. I personally think this is more efficient than configuring different IPs for the different members once on the master you ca use:

>request session member <member id>

to move between the different members of the VC.