Switching

last person joined: 12 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Q-in-Q Tagging MX-480

Posted 07-16-2015 07:01

Hello All,

I am quite new to the Juniper world, so apoliges if this post is not in the correct forum.

We plan to get a pair of MX-480's in the next month ot so. I am currently converting our Brocade config into Junos conifg for the migration.

One of the major things which we will employ is QinQ tagging as we are a ISP.

I habve gone though the config many time and I can see two very similar ways to achecieve the same thing. (Well it looks like it anyway)

One is to use:

interfaces ge-4/0/0 {
        encapsulation flexible-ethernet-services;
        flexible-vlan-tagging;
        unit 1 {
            encapsulation vlan-bridge;
            vlan-tags outer 500 inner 100;
        }
    }

And the second (Excuse any below syntax typos)

interfaces ge-1/2/3 {
        vlan-tagging
        encapsulation flexible-ethernet-services
        stacked-vlan-tagging
        unit 1 {
            encapsulation vlan-bridge;
            vlan-tags outer 500; vlan-tags inner 100;
            family bridge
            }
        }   

Essentially its stacked-vlan-tagging Vs.  flexible-vlan-tagging. So whats the difference? Whats the design senerio where you would use one over the other?I believe this is useable syntax on the MX480..

Any info is much appreciated.

• 2.  RE: Q-in-Q Tagging MX-480
    Best Answer

Posted 07-16-2015 08:45

Hello,

"stacked-vlan-tagging" was developed for older MX pre-Trio linecards (a.k.a ICHIP DPCs) and the below cards:

For Gigabit Ethernet IQ interfaces, Gigabit Ethernet, 10-Gigabit Ethernet LAN/WAN PIC, and 100-Gigabit Ethernet Type 5 PIC with CFP, enable stacked VLAN tagging for all logical interfaces on the physical interface.

http://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos15.1/topics/reference/configuration-statement/stacked-vlan-tagging-edit-interfaces.html

For MX480 with Trio MPC, always use "flexible-vlan-tagging".

HTH

Thanks

Alex

• 3.  RE: Q-in-Q Tagging MX-480

Posted 07-16-2015 09:57

Thanks for the info Aarseniev Smiley LOL

@aarseniev wrote:

Hello,

"stacked-vlan-tagging" was developed for older MX pre-Trio linecards (a.k.a ICHIP DPCs) and the below cards:

For Gigabit Ethernet IQ interfaces, Gigabit Ethernet, 10-Gigabit Ethernet LAN/WAN PIC, and 100-Gigabit Ethernet Type 5 PIC with CFP, enable stacked VLAN tagging for all logical interfaces on the physical interface.

http://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos15.1/topics/reference/configuration-statement/stacked-vlan-tagging-edit-interfaces.html

For MX480 with Trio MPC, always use "flexible-vlan-tagging".

HTH

Thanks

Alex