Switching

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Removing two members switches from (four members in a Virtual Chassis)

Posted 08-01-2018 07:38

Hi All 

I have four ex-4300 switches configured in a single virtual chassis.  FPC-1 is my master and FPC-0 is my backup , FPC 2 and FPC 3 are in linecard role. I want to perform the following things with out loosing the configuration and master role of my switch :

Virtual chassis configured in preprovisioned role. Kindly help me how I can do these tasks as i am totally new to Juniper side.

1) Change the Backup Role from FPC -0 to FPC-3.

2) After that FPC1 would be my master and FPC 3 would be my backup. FPC 0 and FPC-2 would be in linecard role.

3) Then I want to remove FPC 0 and FPC 2 from this virtual chassis.

4) After the removal of FPC 0 and FPC 2 , Only two members ( FPC 1 and FPC 3 will left in that virtual chassis).

5) I want to change  FPC 1 to FPC 0 ( MASTER) and FPC 3 TO FPC 1 ( Backup).

Config is mentioned below : 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

root@sw5.mtl4> show virtual-chassis status

Preprovisioned Virtual Chassis
    Virtual Chassis ID: 8fa1.ded1.a1d1
    Virtual Chassis Mode: Enabled
    Mstr Mixed Route Neighbor List
    Member ID Status Serial No Model prio Role Mode Mode ID Interface

0 (FPC 0) Prsnt PE3717273221 ex4300-48t 129 Backup N VC                  1 vcp-255/1/0

2 vcp-255/1/1
    1 (FPC 1) Prsnt PE3717278547 ex4300-48t 129 Master* N VC                3 vcp-255/1/0
                                                                                                                                                        0 vcp-255/1/1
    2 (FPC 2) Prsnt PE3717274806 ex4300-48t 0 Linecard N VC                    0 vcp-255/1/0
                                                                                                                                                       3 vcp-255/1/1
    3 (FPC 3) Prsnt PE37172704790 ex4300-48t 0 Linecard N VC                    2 vcp-255/1/0
                                                                                                                                                      1 vcp-255/1/1

{master:1}
    root@sw5.mtl4>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

root@sw5.mtl4> show configuration virtual-chassis | display set
    set virtual-chassis preprovisioned
    set virtual-chassis member 0 role routing-engine
    set virtual-chassis member 0 serial-number PE3717273221
    set virtual-chassis member 1 role routing-engine
    set virtual-chassis member 1 serial-number PE3717278547 
    set virtual-chassis member 2 role line-card
    set virtual-chassis member 2 serial-number PE3717274806
    set virtual-chassis member 3 role line-card
    set virtual-chassis member 3 serial-number PE37172704790

root@sw5.mtl4>

• 2.  RE: Removing two members switches from (four members in a Virtual Chassis)

Posted 08-03-2018 06:37

Can someone please guide me on this ?

• 3.  RE: Removing two members switches from (four members in a Virtual Chassis)
    Best Answer

Posted 08-03-2018 07:08

Hi,

I will try to guide you... and start by highly recommend you to schedule a maintenance window for this and copy a backup of your configuration of box, just in case.

Please review everything I do, as it's just written instructions which I haven't done on actual equipment.

1) Change the Backup Role from FPC -0 to FPC-3.

configure 
    set virtual-chassis member 3 role routing-engine
    set virtual-chassis member 3 mastership-priority 100
    set virtual-chassis member 0 role line-card
    commit and-quit

2) After that FPC1 would be my master and FPC 3 would be my backup. FPC 0 and FPC-2 would be in linecard role.

just verify this via 'show virtual-chassis status'.

3) Then I want to remove FPC 0 and FPC 2 from this virtual chassis.

You have to be careful not removing both paths in your VC, but something like with the assumption that your have cabled your VC in a ring-topology. Between each step you can validate via  the 'show virtual-chassis vc-port' command.

1. remove VC-cable between fpc0 and fpc1
    2. remove VC-cable between fpc0 and fpc3
    3. add VC-cable between fpc1 and fpc3
    4. remove VC-cable between fpc1 and fpc2
    5. remove VC-cable between fpc2 and fpc3
    6. add VC-cable between fpc1 and fpc3

4) After the removal of FPC 0 and FPC 2 , Only two members ( FPC 1 and FPC 3 will left in that virtual chassis).

Validate via show virtual-chassis status and clear information regarding fpc0 and fpc2:

request virtual-chassis recycle member-id 0
    request virtual-chassis recycle member-id 2

5) I want to change  FPC 1 to FPC 0 ( MASTER) and FPC 3 TO FPC 1 ( Backup).

First you want to delete all interfaces related config for fpc0 and fpc2:

configure
    wildcard delete interfaces ge-0/*
    wildcard delete interfaces xe-0/*
    wildcard delete interfaces ge-2/*
    wildcard delete interfaces xe-2/*
    commit and-quit

Then your renumber one switch at a time (the switch will reboot!)

request virtual-chassis renumber member-id 1 new-member-id 0

After fpc1 has rebooted and become fpc0, you have to move interface configuration.

configure
    replace pattern ge-1 to ge-0
    replace pattern xe-1 to xe-0
    commit and-quit

Then you do the same for fpc3 -> fpc1.

Finally you remove an leftover configuration for the newly removed switches under the virtual-chassis stanza.

• 4.  RE: Removing two members switches from (four members in a Virtual Chassis)

Posted 08-07-2018 13:19

Thanks a lot Jonas . Really appreciate it. I will perform this and let you know. One more thing which I would like to ask that. After removing the FPC 0 and FPC 2 from this virtual chassis. I want to create another separate virtual chassis with them in that scenario 

where FPC 0 would be master and FPC 2 would be backup. In order to configure them in that above mentioned scenario. Do i need to remove every config on them ? because the previous config would be present on them . If I need to remove whole config on them then how i can remove whole config of previous virtual chassis configure on them ? and I guess i need to POWER UP FPC 0 first in order to make it master ? .Kindly guide for these above mentioned tasks too.

Thanks  

• 5.  RE: Removing two members switches from (four members in a Virtual Chassis)

Posted 08-07-2018 22:29

I would suggest that you run a 'request system zeroize' on both members you removed from the virtual chassis and then ensure the switch you want to become master is booted first.

When you have two unconfigured switches you can follow this documentation page:

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/task/configuration/virtual-chassis-ex4300-configuring.html

Then you would end up having the newly created virtual chassis with fpc0 and fpc1 and no legacy configuration.

Actually on both virtual chassis you should also configure 'no-split-detection':

(Optional: Recommended for a two-member Virtual Chassis) On the master switch, disable the split and merge feature:
    [edit virtual-chassis]
    user@switch# set no-split-detection

• 6.  RE: Removing two members switches from (four members in a Virtual Chassis)

Posted 08-13-2018 06:57

Thanks Jonas. I performed this activity and your steps helped me a lot. It went smooth.