Switching

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Required help on network setup

Posted 02-05-2013 22:49
      |   view attached
    Hi, Earlier we have a network setup in two buildings i.e. Building A & B. Each building has its own Internet connection which is terminated on Juniper Firewalls and communication between buildings were over Point to Point connection which was taken from ISP which is not reliable. Now the challenge is network is expanding and taken new building C and LAN extended from Building B to Building C over Point to point connection. We have taken one more point to point connection between Building A and Building C. There is no router or Firewall in Building C and only Juniper EX3300 Virtual chassis switches and we are using free subnets of the Building B subnet Currently we are looking for link redundancy and i.e. Whenever a link between B and C is down, traffic should go alternate path. Is it possible and please help us with this. We are using Juniper EX 4200 VC as core switches in both the locations Building A and Building B. Building A Subnet : 192.168.160.0/21 Building B Subnet : 192.168.88.0/21 Building C subnet : 192.168.89.0/24 Please find the attached proposed network diagram for your reference. Regards, Yugandhar

• 2.  RE: Required help on network setup

Posted 02-08-2013 09:35
    Hi Yugandar,

I am not sure about your exact requirment but it seam like you only given the answer of your question .. You can run any dynamic routing protocol like RIP,OSPF by using this you can have ISP redundancy or you can load balance ,redundant your libk between building .. RIP,OSPF, etc is supported in EX Switches.

Please feel free to reply if you need any help.

Regards
    Sachin Jha
    Ingenious champion
    JNCIP-ENT,JNCIS-SEC,CCNA

• 3.  RE: Required help on network setup

Posted 02-11-2013 20:23
    Hi Satish, Thank you for your suggestion. My doubt is if we implement OSPF between core switches, is there any performance issues will occur because one of my friend suggested that OSPF will consume a lot of resources and we have 2 tier architecture i.e. No aggregation layer which will affect on our core switch. Is it correct? We have nearly 350 users in building b & building C and 600 users in Building A. All the three locations we have Juniper EX4200 switches. Please suggest us. Regards, Yugandhar

• 4.  RE: Required help on network setup
    Best Answer

Posted 02-12-2013 21:05
    Hi Yugandhar,

Your friend is almost right.
    But the fact is OSPF is resourse choker when you have a verry big setup, but in that case we divide that big setups in area.

Trust me it will not impact your resource in your setup, or if you are not sure you can opt for RIP. you will gain same functionality as after deploying OSPF ..

I implemented OSPF in several legacy Nortel Switches, but I never found any differ in performance.

Please mark accepted sollution if you satisfied with my responce

• 5.  RE: Required help on network setup

Posted 02-19-2013 17:56

Additionally if you believe your network will be fairly stable, you can increase the default timers for OSPF to reduce network traffic and implement BFD.

• 6.  RE: Required help on network setup

Posted 02-26-2013 01:23

Hi lyndidon, I have configured the OSPF with BFD and point to point link failover is working fine but we have specific requirements in this setup. Can you please help us on this requirements. 1. ST users always should get internet from QP location ISP and Exchange access on ICC and ST link. 2. Whenever P2P link between QP and ST goes down ST users should get internet from QP location ISP through ICC since ST network is nothing but a LAN extension of QP network 3. Whenever QP ISP goes down QP and ST users should get internet from ICC ISP 4.Whenever ICC ISP goes down, ICC users should get internet from QP. Are these requirements achievable with OSPF? Please suggest us on this. Please find attached Visio and image files for your reference.