Switching

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Software Verions

Posted 12-30-2019 05:20

Hi, 

New to Juniper and setting up a bunch of EX4300`s.  

We are running on

Junos :14.1X53-D49.1

JWeb: 19.4A1.

When looking for newer version to install I notice the recommended is

Junos: Junos 18.1R3-S8/18.4R2-S2

and JWeb:19.4A1

However, when I go into my support/software portal there is a latest 14.1 version published December 2019.

Furthermore, when I sign into JWEB on my switch, its telling me 

Latest JUNOS Web Management Application package [14.1X53-A3] is available for download.

Can someone please clear this up for me.  What is the difference between 14.X and 19.X when both seem current?

It seems I have 14.X of Junos installed but 19.X of JWeb installed.  Should both be 14.x or 19.x?

• 2.  RE: Software Verions

Posted 12-30-2019 06:35
    Hello Lee, Please use the JTAC recommended versions for JUNOS and choose the latest application package for JWEB. To answer your query, following two should help to choose the right versions: https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/release-independent/junos/topics/task/troubleshooting/ex-series-j-web-application-package-faq.html https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB21476&actp=METADATA <<<<<<<<<<BELIEVE you=""></BELIEVE>

• 3.  RE: Software Verions
    Best Answer

Posted 12-31-2019 03:56
      |   view attached

Hello Lee,

> Can someone please clear this up for me.

Will try to do so 🙂

> What is the difference between 14.X and 19.X when both seem current?

You can see the feature comparison here:

JUNOS Feature Comparison 

In general, you can find all JUNOS release notes for EX4300 here:

EX4300 release notes

As it is with every vendor, new major releases (18.1, 18.2, 18.3, ...) bring new features and bugfixes. Maintenance releases (R2, R3) will bring bugfixes and sometimes new features, and Service releases (e.g. R2-S1, R2-S2) will bring bugfixes only. And all of them can include security fixes.

Please note that JUNOS releases have End Of Life dates, these are important if you have service contracts and need to open a JTAC case. You can find the EOL dates here:

JUNOS EOL dates 

As you can see, 14.1X53 is already End of Support. So JTAC would not accept new Service Requests for platforms with this release installed.

If you want to download major or maintenance releases, choose "JUNOS" at the download site. If you want to download service release, choose "JUNOS SR" (please see attached picture).

Hope this helps.

• 4.  RE: Software Verions

Posted 01-10-2020 09:41

Thanks all.

Lee.

• 5.  RE: Software Verions

Posted 01-10-2020 10:08

Just FYI, but when looking for Junos SW versions, I would suggest the 1st step always would be to change OS to Junos SR from default of Junos.  I tried to get this changed, no luck -:( Then select code stream.  S/SR releases are 90+% the normal for most cases, especially for EX and QFX products.  I think EX/QFX are at 100%.

• 6.  RE: Software Verions

Posted 01-10-2020 12:35

I just want to add that Jweb should match the Junos version, plrease see docuemnet below with more details,

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/release-independent/junos/topics/task/troubleshooting/ex-series-j-web-application-package-faq.html#jd0e279

So if you are planning to use 18.4R2 then you should use Jweb Application Package 18.4A1