Ethernet Switching
Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

Spanning Tree config with Routing Instances?

‎12-11-2018 11:40 AM

I have VSTP confiured on a EX4600 that has multiple routing instances.  I have VSTP configrued at what I assume is the global switch level (ie "edit protocols vstp") and it appears to be working fine.  However, I have just noticed that there is also the capability to configure spanning tree within routing instances by using "edit routing-instance <instance name> protocols vstp".

What is the difference between configuring STP at the global switch level vs configuring within the routing instance?   Am I configuring STP wrong, should I be configuring under the routing instances?

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Ethernet Switching
Solution
Accepted by topic author techuser
‎12-13-2018 01:56 PM

Re: Spanning Tree config with Routing Instances?

‎12-11-2018 08:45 PM

Hello,

Spanning Tree configuration is supported only for Routing Instances of "type virtual-switch" or "type layer2-control".

And those instances are for advanced use cases such as :

1/"layer2-control" instance is the "access circuit-facing control plane" for VPLS (which means it runs STP towards access circuit/AC only and never injects STP BPDU into VPLS core and also provides stitching of STP AC state to VPLS signaling)

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/task/configuration/layer-2-services-routing...

2/ virtual-switch instance allows segmenting Your L2 network into separate subdomains where VLAN-ids can overlap between subdomains (i.e. VLAN-id 100 on ge-0/0/0 inside virtual-switch vS1 is totally separate from VLAN-id 100 on ge-1/0/0 inside virtual-switch Vs2, without any VLAN rewrite)

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/task/configuration/layer-2-services-virtual...

HTH

Thx

Alex 

Please ask Your Juniper account team about Juniper Professional Services offerings.
Juniper PS can design, test & build the network/part of the network as per Your requirements

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Accept as Solution = cool !
Accept as Solution+Kudo = You are a Star !
Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

Re: Spanning Tree config with Routing Instances?

‎12-13-2018 01:56 PM

We are using "virtual router" instance type, so I understand that configuration of STP within routing instance does not apply to us.  Thanks for the info.

Feedback