interface ae0.0 {
            bandwidth 3000000;
        }
        interface all {
            bandwidth 150000;
        }
    }

My doubt here is the following:

What will be the Storm control bandwidth for interface ae0.0??!

3000000 or 150000?

I didn't find anywhere how to check what is the allocated storm control bandwidth for an interface.

Thanks in advance!

Paulo

JNCIP-ENT
JNCIS-SEC
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

Re: Storm Control configuration on EX

[ Edited ]
‎07-21-2010 10:14 AM

I never found a way to view this information either.

Also, when storm control goes into effect for an interface, I never observed any syslog or SNMP traps being issued.

The only way I found to test my config was to "set action-shutdown", generate a test broadcast storm, and observe the port shutdown. In this case a log message (and presumably a trap) *is* generated.

FWIW, I also noticed that storm-control only worked on layer 2 configured interfaces, ie "unit 0 familty ethernet-switching", and not on ports with an IP address, "familty inet".

If anyone has any better ideas about implementing storm-control, let us know, thanks!

W Sanders
System and Network Administrator
St Marys College of California
Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

‎07-27-2010 06:34 AM

Hi All,

from 10.2 EX manual:

"Note: When you configure storm control bandwidth on an aggregated Ethernet interface, the storm control level for each member of the aggregated Ethernet interface is set to that bandwidth. For example, if you configure a storm control bandwidth of 15000 Kbps on ae1, and ae1 has two members, ge-0/0/0 and ge-0/0/1, each member has a storm control level of 15000 Kbps. Thus, the storm control level on ae1 allows a traffic rate of up to 30000 Kbps of combined broadcast and unknown unicast traffic."

Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

‎07-30-2010 02:44 AM

I get that.

My real doubt here is that it is a pain in the neck to configure the same value for each type of interface instead of using the "all" argument because you have GE interfaces and 10GE interfaces on the same box.

JNCIP-ENT
JNCIS-SEC
Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

[ Edited ]
‎07-30-2010 02:19 PM

Yes, it's a pain in the neck. The "level" parameter seems to be deprecated, and the "bandwidth" parameter has to be within 1 and 50 percent of the line rate.

Otherwise, you will see this error in the syslog:

eswd[63424]: ESWD_ST_CTL_BW_INFO: all: storm control can be enabled only between 1 and 50 percent of line rate in the hardware. An attempt to configure outside this range will  default to 50 percent.

I would seriously doubt that a broadcast storm at 40 or even 10 percent of the line rate of a 10 GB interface would go unnoticed by users .... OTOH given the topology of most networks the storm is likely to originate on a lower-bandwidth interface.

W Sanders
System and Network Administrator
St Marys College of California
Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

‎08-03-2010 01:57 AM

Hi,

The storm-control, can limit multicast storm too? or is there any other configuration to limit multicast storm per interface?

Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

‎11-14-2012 09:05 AM

Hi oscar.

from my point of knowledge,

storm-control feature on EX4500, EX8200 limits broadcast, multicast and unknown unicast

On EX4200 only broadcast and unknow unicast is limited.

To limit multicast traffic on EX4200 perform this command:

set ethernet-switching-options storm-control interface all multicast

tht

Alexander

Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

‎07-13-2016 03:31 PM

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos15.1/topics/reference/configuration-statement/bandwidth-l...

====

Note: When you configure storm control level on an aggregated Ethernet interface, the storm control level for each member of the aggregated Ethernet interface is set to that bandwidth. For example, if you configure a storm control level of 15,000 Kbps on ae1, and ae1 has two members, ge-0/0/0 and ge-0/0/1, each member has a storm control level of 15,000 Kbps. Thus, the storm control level on ae1 allows a traffic rate of up to 30,000 Kbps of combined broadcast, multicast, and unknown unicast traffic.

====

Hope that helps Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

‎07-21-2016 02:47 AM

Hi Paulo,

It is by default taken as 80% of the bandwidth. So, 1g will have 800m and 10g will have 8g as storm (Broadcast, unknown unicast, multicast)