Ethernet Switching
Ethernet Switching

Upgrading image fails

‎08-15-2019 04:33 AM

This is a problem as we have over 120 EX2300-48P in the field and at corporate.

So, I started from 15.1X53-D58.3 and using SPACE to first upgrade, automated.

Of course SPACE failed, so I decided to do it the old fashioned way and ssh to the switch.

What I saw was not enough room to complete the install. I ran cleanup, and used the following command:

request system software add /var/tmp/junos-arm-32-18.1R2.tgz force unlink no-copy

That did not work either, so lets try using a USB stick. That failed as well, so I tried it with the unlink removed via USB, and it worked.

Now, I am asking if anyone in the community is also experiencing this problem, and if you found a work around.

Thanks

JNCIA-Junos
9 REPLIES 9
Ethernet Switching

Re: Upgrading image fails

‎08-15-2019 05:19 AM

Hi Starlog,

The unlink option is a legacy option from Junos for M/T routers. It is not supported on EX.

So we should not be using this command in Junos for EX.

The unlink option was disabled in 11.4R3 and 12.1R2 or later

This is seen mentioned in release notes, please visit the link below for the same:

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/information-products/topic-collections/ex-series/r...

This issue was addressed under bug, PR739795 and was declared unsupported for the platform.

Do hit kudos, mark "accept as a solution" so other enthusiasts are directed to this post without them having to repost!! :-)

//Nex

Ethernet Switching

‎08-15-2019 06:05 AM

Hi starlog,

yes, limited space on EX2300 and EX3400 is a known problem. There have been some threads in this forum, but I'm only able to dig up one about EX3400 right now (the situation for EX2300 is similar AFAIK).

Juniper has documented the issues in KB31198 and offers a guide for "troubleshooting". This also mentions the unlink argument, so I think Nexon is wrong here that it's not supported on EX.

For our three EX3400 in VC, we have a USB stick in the master device and download the update to there. Using that space extension, yesterday's update to the latest 18.1R3-S7 has worked without problems (with said unlink flag). In case that doesn't help, you can try deleting old packages that would be overwritten by the update anyhow:

ls /packages/db/ | grep -vE `ls -l /packages/sets/active/ | grep '^l' | cut -d'/' -f 4 | tr '\n' '|' | sed 's/|$//'`

(That's my command, so not offical, and I don't provide any warranty, so if it lists files that are still needed and you delete them, it's your fault.)

Hope this helps,

Jonas

Ethernet Switching

‎08-15-2019 06:07 AM

Hi,

Yes, it's a known issue.

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/task/troubleshooting/storage-issue-upgradin...

Also try deleting the snapshot

request system snapshot delete *

Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

‎08-15-2019 06:46 AM

I tried to delete the snapshot, when I list the snapshot it shows a name, but when i try to delete it, nope not found.

Delete non-recovery snapshots by using the command:

user@switch> request system snapshot delete snapshot-name
I thank all for the info, will consider droping USB sticks in all the ones in the field.

I was told about the unlink option just recently from a jtac ticket I opend about this issue, they said use it.  Smiley Happy

JNCIA-Junos
Ethernet Switching

‎08-15-2019 07:30 AM

Just FYI for all, the situation surrounding both Upgrades and Snapshots, etc. are well-known internally with in Juniper TAC and Engineering, and work is on-going to get all of this resolved in an upcoming SW release.

At this time vechicle (SW release number) nor timeframe is known, but this is a high priority situation that is being work on.

When/if I know more I will update this thread.

FYI only

Ethernet Switching

‎08-15-2019 09:51 AM

Whenever I've run into this issue logging in as root and then doing the upgrade has worked.

Ethernet Switching

‎08-16-2019 05:32 AM

Do not use a name, use the star (*)

request system snapshot delete *

Also check this KB to find the diretories that could be consuming space.

https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB30860&cat=EX9208&actp=LIST

Another thing that you can check is /packages/db/ directory and delete everything from 15 release.  Do not delete anything from 18 release since those files are necessary to install the new code.

Ethernet Switching

‎08-16-2019 06:58 AM

Hi Starlog,

Try using the /tmp folder instead of the /var/tmp to store the image. Then the usual request system software add /tmp/junos-arm-32-18.1R2.tgz force no-copy

Or mounting it to the USB and install it from that mount point (if the USB was mounted to /tmp/usb, then use the request system software add /var/tmp/usb/IMAGE-name).

Ethernet Switching

‎08-19-2019 08:57 PM

On the switch, login to the shell (start sheel).

Go to this path /db/packages and delete the old Junos versions from the shell prompt.

After the above step, include <unlink> and force command at the end of sofware installtion command.

"request system software add <image name> <unlink> <force>