Switching

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  VC and upgrade

Posted 06-16-2010 13:25

Hi,

A question regarding upgrading av virtual chassis, I've read a couple of threads that mention that all members needs to be rebooted at the same time, it this still the case (my VC is running 10.0S3.1)?

Regards

Freddy

• 2.  RE: VC and upgrade
    Best Answer

Posted 06-16-2010 19:06

Hi,

I upgraded one member of the VC at a time without issue.  The reboot is required for the upgrade to take affect, but I don't think a simulataneous reboot of all members is required.  This should help.

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos10.0/topics/task/installation/ex-series-software-installing-single-routing-engine-cli.html

-John

• 3.  RE: VC and upgrade

Posted 06-22-2010 18:26

I tried upgrading a VC one member at a time at one point and the VC would not form up with a software version mismatch. Unfortunately, I don't remember which version it was, other than I was running 9.5-something or 9.6-something and it was *not* a major (9 to 10) release upgrade.

Please test and report back!

That being said, for me, personally, upgrading one member at a time seems to offer little advantage over doing the whole VC at once, especially if the MC is fully provisioned. (which is why I haven't tried again.) But IMHO you should be able to do it, within reason.

-w

• 4.  RE: VC and upgrade

Posted 07-09-2010 03:09

wsanders is correct.  Unless all of your devices are dual-homed to separate switches, rebooting one VC at a time doesn't gain you anything at all, in fact, it increases the total down-time from the beginning of the first reboot to the end of the last reboot.

You should definitely have a lab stack with the same configuration to test on, because depending on the config, certain configurations will break the entire config load after an upgrade.