Switching

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Virtual Chassis - preprovisioned vs non-provisioned

Posted 03-19-2019 10:11

Hi all,

I am extremely new to Juniper. Please bear with me.

Reading virtual chassis feature guide on configuring virtual chassis

In pre-provisioned

- mastership priority cannot be defined but will be set to the same for master and backup RE

- role is pre-defined to the serial number of switch

- memberid is pre-defined to the serial number of switch
    - switch intended to be master is powered on

In non-provisioned

- mastership priority can be defined but will be set to the same for master and backup RE

============================

So the only difference between a pre-provisioned and non-provisioned is that

- in pre-provisioned, you can define/tied the intended role to the desired switch ?

- in pre-provisioned, you can define the memberID to the desired switch ? ?

Q1) What other benefits/non-benefits does 1 have over the other ?  Why would one choose pre-provisioned over non-provisioned ?

In a 2 members virtual chassis, how will the above matters ?

Q2) When specifying an interface in a virtual-chassis setup,  what is the relationship between FPC and memberID ?

Say FPC2 (switch2) is define with a memberID of 6,   when we want to refer to port1 of switch2 , do we specify

ge-6/0/1 or ge-2/0/1 in a virtual chassis ?

I am using 2 x qfx5100-48s-6q

Regards,

Alan

• 2.  RE: Virtual Chassis - preprovisioned vs non-provisioned
    Best Answer

Posted 03-19-2019 10:24

Hi alankoh,

Please find answers inline.  Perhaps you will find this beneficial too: https://www.juniper.net/us/en/local/pdf/implementation-guides/8010018-en.pdf

@alankoh wrote:

Hi all,

I am extremely new to Juniper. Please bear with me.

Reading virtual chassis feature guide on configuring virtual chassis

In pre-provisioned

- mastership priority cannot be defined but will be set to the same for master and backup RE

- role is pre-defined to the serial number of switch

- memberid is pre-defined to the serial number of switch

In non-provisioned

- mastership priority can be defined but will be set to the same for master and backup RE

============================

So the only difference between a pre-provisioned and non-provisioned is that

- in pre-provisioned, you can define/tied the intended role to the desired switch ?

[Ans] True

- in pre-provisioned, you can define the memberID to the desired switch ? ?

[Ans] True

Q1) What other benefits/non-benefits does 1 have over the other ?  Why would one choose pre-provisioned over non-provisioned ?

In a 2 members virtual chassis, how will the above matters ?

[Ans] A pre-provisioned VC will not allow any newer switch to join the VC even if physically connected, unless you manually add the Serial Number to the pre-provisioned VC configuration.

Q2) When specifying an interface in a virtual-chassis setup,  what is the relationship between FPC and memberID ?

Say FPC2 (switch2) is define with a memberID of 6,   when we want to refer to port1 of switch2 , do we specify

ge-6/0/1 or ge-2/0/1 in a virtual chassis ?

[Ans] Member ID and FPC# will be the same i.e. if you add a 2nd switch but define it's member ID as 6 then it's interfaces will be ge-6/0/x.

I am using 2 x qfx5100-48s-6q

Regards,

Alan

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    -r.

--------------------------------------------------

If this solves your problem, please mark this post as "Accepted Solution."
    Kudos are always appreciated :).

• 3.  RE: Virtual Chassis - preprovisioned vs non-provisioned

Posted 03-19-2019 16:20

A big driver for using pre-provisioned mode in a word is control.

For the sake of ease of use virtual chassis will automatically add members and assign both roles and member id.  This is a great convenience during initial setup and expansion.

But many organizations prefer stricter control of the operational devices on the network.  With pre-provisioning there can be no accidental role assignment of the RE to a remote closet.  Or the accidental addition of a new member to the VC.  Each role, member id, addition or removal of members is under the control of configuration.

• 4.  RE: Virtual Chassis - preprovisioned vs non-provisioned

Posted 03-20-2019 10:52

Thank you Steve and mriyaz