Ethernet Switching
Ethernet Switching

after removing vc port configuration the interface still shows up even though nothing connected

‎07-05-2019 11:00 AM

Hello, wondering why after removing a 10gig interface from the VC port configuration the interface still shows that it's linked up. I have no fiber connections plugged into it.

If I pull the optic out the port goes dead, but as soon as I plug the optic back in it shows like it has a link even when nothing connected.

Curious if I will have problems trying to reuse these 10gig interfaces.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Ethernet Switching

Re: after removing vc port configuration the interface still shows up even though nothing connected

‎07-05-2019 04:34 PM

Hi trink408,

Which switch/port are we talking about? If you remove the VCP port configuration using "request virtual-chassis vc-port delete..." then the port shouldn't show up.  The port showing down but the "LINK" showing on the interface might be generic to any other port as well.  So you are safe to use it as a 10G interface.

Other than that, could think of  a couple of caveats to using uplink ports (if that's what you're using) as VCP ports and converted them back, one is of EX4300 and another for EX4500 (need to reboot if the uplink was used as redundant VCP in addition to dedicated VCP).  If these do not apply in your case, the above explanation should be it.

https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB32431&cat=EX_SERIES&actp=LIST

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/task/troubleshooting/virtual-chassis-ex4200...

Please let us know.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
-r.

--------------------------------------------------

If this solves your problem, please mark this post as "Accepted Solution."
Kudos are always appreciated Smiley Happy.

Ethernet Switching

Re: after removing vc port configuration the interface still shows up even though nothing connected

‎07-06-2019 06:58 AM

Thanks for the info, I will have to look through the links.

This is on an ex4600 stretched virtual chassis with 4 switches (2 DC / 2 DR). The ports were 10gig sfp+ in pic slot 0 that had been converted to vc ports along with several 40gig ports. I moved all the vc ports over to 40gig, so I was removing that vc config from the 10gig ports. 

I did use that command to remove the config, but as soon as I plug an optic into those interfaces the link lights show it's connected, as does the config. None of the other ports show that when there is no fiber connected, even if an optic is plugged in. 

Ethernet Switching

‎07-08-2019 05:41 PM

Hi trink,

Please confirm if rebooting the VC resolved and mark the relevant solution here so others benefit from your post.

Note that there's also a cosmetic issue with LEDs glowing while the link isn't connected but I'm not sure that's in play in your case.  That issue is resolved via Junos 18.4R2 etc., see this:
https://forums.juniper.net/t5/Ethernet-Switching/Juniper-EX4300MP-activity-LED-s/m-p/461891#M19942

Hope this helps.

Regards,
-r.

--------------------------------------------------

If this solves your problem, please mark this post as "Accepted Solution."
Kudos are always appreciated Smiley Happy.

Ethernet Switching

‎07-09-2019 05:15 AM

Unfortunately rebooting this core stack is almost never an option, so not sure when that will get done. At some point I might have a maintenance window to work in where I can reboot individual switches if possible.   Thanks