Ethernet Switching
Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

can`t add my juniper EX3300 switch to librenms through snmp

‎03-17-2020 07:17 AM

Hi all

i know its just snmp configuration but for some reason it is not working for me ,so maybe you can help me 

i have a bit complicated setup : i setup librenms on EC2 on aws cloud ,and i`m trying to add my datacenter switch throgh its management ip address but my managment network is completly isloated from AWS traffic so i had to nat the traffic and i`m allowing all traffic on my firewall and i`m allowing all udp traffic on the EC2 

The ping from librenms is working and im able to add the switch by using only ping 

but when i try to add the switch using snmp ,i can`t and i get the error message ` Could not connect to sw1, please check the snmp details and snmp reachability`and ` SNMP v2c: No reply with community private`

here is the configuration of snmp v2 on sw1

view all {
oid .1;
}
community private {
view all;
authorization read-write;
}
trap-group spacenet {
targets {
10.x.x.243;
}
}

Can you please help me on by pointing out if there is something i need to check or add on the switch configuration ?does anyone knows how to check snmp reachability on the switch (other than wireshark }?

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

Re: can`t add my juniper EX3300 switch to librenms through snmp

‎03-17-2020 05:16 PM

Hi ,

Could you please attach the complete SNMP configuration ,

and give the below information :

> are you able to ping the switch from the snmp server 

> when you run the SNMP test on the monitoring tool what is the status 

> are the community string used correct 

Regards ,

Sharanya 

Ethernet Switching

‎03-18-2020 05:19 AM

Hi ,

Thank you for helping me out 

let me first answer your questions 

-are you able to ping the switch from the snmp server ? yeah the ping works fine and i`m able to add the device to the snmp server  using just ping

-when you run the SNMP test on the monitoring tool what is the status ? when i try to add the device through snmp(adding device is the only snmp test i did) ,i got the errors `Could not connect to space-sw, please check the snmp details and snmp reachability`

-are the community string used correct ? yes 

for the configuration i`m testing with two switches (same model EX3300) but one with V2C snmp configuration and one with v3

here is the snmp v2c config:

{master:0}[edit snmp]
msaidani@space-sw1# show
view all {
oid .1;
}
community private {
view all;
authorization read-write;
}
trap-options {
source-address 10.10.11.5;
}
trap-group spacenet {
version v2;
targets {
10.200.53.243;
}
}

and here is the snmp v3 config:

v3 {
usm {
local-engine {
user cacti {
authentication-sha {
authentication-key "$9$dGsYoJGDHkP4oZjiHmPhSyreW7Nb4oGSr24ZG q.IEhcevLX-ws4XxDiH.5T/Ctp0IrevMLxcSeWx7Vbz3n/uOEcyleWFnvW8LN-jHkqQFtuOBRh9CKM8X bwqmP5T3CA01Ec9CWLNdsYJGDj"; ## SECRET -DATA
}
privacy-aes128 {
privacy-key "$9$eVKvX7s24oGDVbP5Qz6/lKvL-Vs24oZUSrK8xNbwgoJZ k.5T3pO1zFhSrlLXGDjHP5z36pO1zFvWLxws4aZUqmF3901RHq0BEhrlgoaJGi5QF3/CmPSrKMXxDiHk TzCA0Ehrqmfz3/tp8XxdVYaJDjk"; ## SECRET-DATA
}
}
}
}
vacm {
security-to-group {
security-model usm {
security-name cacti {
group readonlygroup;
}
}
}
access {
group readonlygroup {
default-context-prefix {
security-model usm {
security-level privacy {
read-view readonly;
}
}
}
}
}
}
target-address librenms {
address 10.200.53.243;
port 161;
target-parameters test;
}
}

please note that between snmp server and those switches,there is a firewall ,i allowed everything from the snmp server to switches (or let`s say from snmp server to the nat address i`m using to nat the traffic between the snmp server and the switches )

i`m also attaching a screenshot of web interface of adding the device on the snmp server (the ip address on the screeshot is the nat address i used it to nat/redirect the traffic )

please let me know if you need further informationsnmp-add.PNG

Highlighted
Ethernet Switching
Solution
Accepted by topic author marwasai
‎03-18-2020 07:31 AM

‎03-18-2020 07:31 AM

issue resolved ,it was an issue with the snmp server ,it was trying to use the ip it discovered via DNS request

thanks your help 

Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

‎03-18-2020 10:21 PM
Hi its good to know the issue is resolved !! Great !! Sharanya
Feedback