Switching

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  can`t add my juniper EX3300 switch to librenms through snmp

Posted 03-17-2020 07:17

Hi all

i know its just snmp configuration but for some reason it is not working for me ,so maybe you can help me 

i have a bit complicated setup : i setup librenms on EC2 on aws cloud ,and i`m trying to add my datacenter switch throgh its management ip address but my managment network is completly isloated from AWS traffic so i had to nat the traffic and i`m allowing all traffic on my firewall and i`m allowing all udp traffic on the EC2 

The ping from librenms is working and im able to add the switch by using only ping 

but when i try to add the switch using snmp ,i can`t and i get the error message ` Could not connect to sw1, please check the snmp details and snmp reachability`and ` SNMP v2c: No reply with community private`

here is the configuration of snmp v2 on sw1

view all {
    oid .1;
    }
    community private {
    view all;
    authorization read-write;
    }
    trap-group spacenet {
    targets {
    10.x.x.243;
    }
    }

Can you please help me on by pointing out if there is something i need to check or add on the switch configuration ?does anyone knows how to check snmp reachability on the switch (other than wireshark }?

• 2.  RE: can`t add my juniper EX3300 switch to librenms through snmp

Posted 03-17-2020 17:17

Hi ,

Could you please attach the complete SNMP configuration ,

and give the below information :

> are you able to ping the switch from the snmp server 

> when you run the SNMP test on the monitoring tool what is the status 

> are the community string used correct 

Regards ,

Sharanya 

• 3.  RE: can`t add my juniper EX3300 switch to librenms through snmp

Posted 03-18-2020 05:19

Hi ,

Thank you for helping me out 

let me first answer your questions 

-are you able to ping the switch from the snmp server ? yeah the ping works fine and i`m able to add the device to the snmp server  using just ping

-when you run the SNMP test on the monitoring tool what is the status ? when i try to add the device through snmp(adding device is the only snmp test i did) ,i got the errors `Could not connect to space-sw, please check the snmp details and snmp reachability`

-are the community string used correct ? yes 

for the configuration i`m testing with two switches (same model EX3300) but one with V2C snmp configuration and one with v3

here is the snmp v2c config:

{master:0}[edit snmp]
    msaidani@space-sw1# show
    view all {
    oid .1;
    }
    community private {
    view all;
    authorization read-write;
    }
    trap-options {
    source-address 10.10.11.5;
    }
    trap-group spacenet {
    version v2;
    targets {
    10.200.53.243;
    }
    }

and here is the snmp v3 config:

v3 {
    usm {
    local-engine {
    user cacti {
    authentication-sha {
    authentication-key "$9$dGsYoJGDHkP4oZjiHmPhSyreW7Nb4oGSr24ZG q.IEhcevLX-ws4XxDiH.5T/Ctp0IrevMLxcSeWx7Vbz3n/uOEcyleWFnvW8LN-jHkqQFtuOBRh9CKM8X bwqmP5T3CA01Ec9CWLNdsYJGDj"; ## SECRET -DATA
    }
    privacy-aes128 {
    privacy-key "$9$eVKvX7s24oGDVbP5Qz6/lKvL-Vs24oZUSrK8xNbwgoJZ k.5T3pO1zFhSrlLXGDjHP5z36pO1zFvWLxws4aZUqmF3901RHq0BEhrlgoaJGi5QF3/CmPSrKMXxDiHk TzCA0Ehrqmfz3/tp8XxdVYaJDjk"; ## SECRET-DATA
    }
    }
    }
    }
    vacm {
    security-to-group {
    security-model usm {
    security-name cacti {
    group readonlygroup;
    }
    }
    }
    access {
    group readonlygroup {
    default-context-prefix {
    security-model usm {
    security-level privacy {
    read-view readonly;
    }
    }
    }
    }
    }
    }
    target-address librenms {
    address 10.200.53.243;
    port 161;
    target-parameters test;
    }
    }

please note that between snmp server and those switches,there is a firewall ,i allowed everything from the snmp server to switches (or let`s say from snmp server to the nat address i`m using to nat the traffic between the snmp server and the switches )

i`m also attaching a screenshot of web interface of adding the device on the snmp server (the ip address on the screeshot is the nat address i used it to nat/redirect the traffic )

please let me know if you need further informationsnmp-add.PNG

• 4.  RE: can`t add my juniper EX3300 switch to librenms through snmp
    Best Answer

Posted 03-18-2020 07:31

issue resolved ,it was an issue with the snmp server ,it was trying to use the ip it discovered via DNS request

thanks your help 

• 5.  RE: can`t add my juniper EX3300 switch to librenms through snmp

Posted 03-18-2020 22:21
    Hi its good to know the issue is resolved !! Great !! Sharanya