Ethernet Switching
Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

dhcp stops working for no apparent reaon...

‎12-19-2019 04:49 AM

Hi all,

I've a bit of a strange one - dhcp has been working without issue for some time but today we came in and it's not!

The config hasn't changed however "show dhcp statistics" is showing packets dropped with majority of them being "Switchover recovery". Unfortuanately syslog has been off for a while so I don't have any useful information there. Virtual chasis doesn't look to have changed recently either.

traceoptions doesn't seem to provide much information either...

I have restarted the process but no change. I tried to remove the configuration under access>address-assignment and system>services>dhcp-local-server but it's saying there's bindings so I can't remove it... But I've already removed the bindings but no change...

Anyone got any thoughts as to what may be causing it? I may have to reboot it but really don't want to as it's a pretty important switch in a pretty inaccable place if there's any issues!

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

Re: dhcp stops working for no apparent reaon...

‎12-19-2019 10:27 AM

Hi Conor,

There was a bug report filed with Juniper for an issue like this reported for version 15.1X53-D57.

They later provided a fix through version 15.1X53-D58. I meanwhile resorted to solve this issue by rebooting the device. 

Do check if you have any core files generated and if so contact JTAC to seek confirmation. If your release matches the above, upgrade it with the later version with the fix.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Accept as Solution = cool ! (Will help other community members with similar queries to be redirected here)
Accept as Solution+Kudo = You are a Star !

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

//Nex

Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

‎12-20-2019 04:45 AM

Thanks Nex... I'm going give it a reboot between Christmas/New Years so lets see if that resolves. I may have to look at upgrading next year so...

Ethernet Switching

‎12-24-2019 11:28 AM

Hello ,

I think i've heard issues with jdhcp not working properly on 15.1X53-D5x , my two cents here is i would give it a try using a supported version if you are in 15.1, and see if the issue is seen. 

You can try also restarting jdhcp process before rebooting the switch.

https://support.juniper.net/support/eol/software/junos/#6 

Regards, 

Franky