Ethernet Switching
Ethernet Switching

ex2200 virtual chassis, adding 3rd member with existing config....

‎06-26-2014 05:48 AM

Hello - I have 3 x ex2200 switches on different floors of my building. Two of them are interconnected already using the vcp ports.   I would like to use the extended vcp config to interconnect them to a third switch.  My question is do I have to default the config on each new switch before adding them to the vc? I plan on using the preconfigured setup specifying what switch will do what role. My hope is that when I add the third switch and the interface identifiers change from 0/0/x to 2/0/x it will import and alter the existing config on the newly added switch.

Any help will be appreciated, I scoured the docs and could not find any answer.

6 REPLIES 6
Ethernet Switching

Re: ex2200 virtual chassis, adding 3rd member with existing config....

‎06-27-2014 12:01 AM

HI,

It would be good if you could folow these steps

1) Default the new switch

2) Add the pre-provisioned configuration on existing 2 member VC.

3) Add configs for the third member as well ge-2/X/X

4) Configure the VCP ports.

5) Make sure the new switch is also on the same Junos version as the other 2 members.

6) Add the new switch.

-Partha

Ethernet Switching

‎06-29-2014 01:35 PM

If you are using preprovisioned and you have enabled the auto-sw upgrade, then the only thing you need to do is to add the serial number and role for third switch. Then connect it. If the autosw is not enabled, then upgrade third switch to current VC version before adding it. Be sure you also have the option: set system commit synchronize" enabled.  The configuration will be applied to the third switch by the master.

[KUDOS PLEASE! If you think I earned it!
If this solution worked for you please flag my post as an "Accepted Solution" so others can benefit..]
Ethernet Switching

[ Edited ]
‎07-02-2014 06:12 AM

The thing is that the third switch is not new, its a switch that is already in production.  I am trying to see if there is a way to  minimize downtime considering the following:

• Switch 1 is already connected to switch 3 with ae group.
  • Switch 1 and 2 are connected via VCP using ports 0/1/2 to 1/1/2
  • port x/1/3 are unused at this point on all switches.
  • all switches are in production with extensive configurations supporting multiple vlans, qos for voice, poe cctv camera's, and data.

If I connect switch 3 after adding the preprovisioned config on the master using port x/1/3 on switch 1, What does the master do with the existing switch 3 config? I see only one of a few possibilities:

1. The master will disregard the existing switch 3 config and put a default one on it
  2. The master will read the switch 3 existing config, alter the member id from 0 to 2 and comit changes
  3. The master will fall on it self and I will have a large mess of switch configs to clean up.

Thanks for the advise so far, I appreciate everyones assistance.

Ethernet Switching

[ Edited ]
‎07-02-2014 06:43 AM

That is why it is called a VC. The master will put the new config on the 3rd switch. All members in a VC must have the same config. Please see my comment above. The master is responsible for maintaining and applying the config, not the line cards. As indicated by another response, you can simply reset the 3rd switch to factory default. #load factory-default and commit it before adding it to the VC.

If this solution worked for you please flag my post as an "Accepted Solution" so others can benefit..]
Ethernet Switching

‎07-02-2014 08:24 AM

@lyndidon wrote:

That is why it is called a VC. The master will put the new config on the 3rd switch. All members in a VC must have the same config. Please see my comment above. The master is responsible for maintaining and applying the config, not the line cards. As indicated by another response, you can simply reset the 3rd switch to factory default. #load factory-default and commit it before adding it to the VC.

ITs called a VC for MANY reasons beyond the single config, but thanks for the sarcastic answer.  So what you saying is that it will disregard the existing config on the newly added member and replace it with a default one.  and none of the config lines from the newly added member should get incorrectly applied to chassis 0.  There is no merge of the config that takes place?

Ethernet Switching

[ Edited ]
‎07-02-2014 08:57 AM

Sorry if sarcasm came across. And yes occasionally I can be sarcastic, but my apologies I meant to add more details as to what VC does like you rightly indicate. It was not intended and definitely not in this case. Your comment is correct. No merging of existing config.