Ethernet Switching
Ethernet Switching

>show interfaces extensive

[ Edited ]
‎08-26-2019 08:33 PM

Hi all,

There is high number of ge-x/x/x and xe-y/y/y interfaces on the EX9200 series. Daily I have to use the following  junos cli to truck the associated errors rather than looking at interface by interface....:

>show interfaces extensive | match "^Physical.*up| mtu errors:" ........But it is a little bit mess!

I like to ask about there is any alternative junos cli that can be used more smarter and simple way with no showing "errors: 0" ones?  And what typically you guys are you trucking any error generated or increasing on whole  physical interface including ae on whole device running junos? 

Thanks

Ar.

6 REPLIES 6
Ethernet Switching

Re: >show interfaces extensive

‎08-27-2019 05:18 AM

Hi Arix,

Try this 

>show interfaces extensive | match "^Physical.*up| mtu errors: [^0]"

Randall

Ethernet Switching

‎08-27-2019 09:25 AM

Hi Arix,

Please refer following KB to determine what each drop means and which one are important to you.

https://kb.juniper.net/KB24601

Mostly, people are interested in saturation/red/tail drops you need to refer "Drops" field for that. For other drop refer the KB and let me know if you have any question.

Kudos are appreciated!

Thanks
Vishal

Ethernet Switching

[ Edited ]
‎08-28-2019 04:16 AM

Thanks for replies...

>show interfaces extensive | match "^Physical.*up| mtu errors: [^0]" ---->unfortunately this didn't work, it brings whole "MTU errors:0" too. not interested "MTU errors:0".  Needs to know or check about drop and "MTU errors>0" on only Phy interface(s) are in up up.

Visingh thanks for providing kb, I read through....But still have qs(s).

From my whole ccna series, any error on any interface on the device must be investigated. Following by this approach, under the "Input errors:" from ">sh int xxxx extensice" there is no any error thats fine...But under the "Output errors:" part, drops: 2253 and MTU errors:180820173 on the one Physical interface.

Can you explain about this rapid increasement of mtu errors? what reason could be? And  is fragmentation happening when mtu errors occurs, if so how to determine this? >Monitor traffic interface <int name> or? Is it correct approach to check cross interface on the other device?

Thx

A.

Ethernet Switching

‎08-28-2019 05:01 AM

Hi Arix,

this is working for me,

root@s04-36> ...aces extensive | match "^Physical.*up| mtu errors: [^0]"
Physical interface: ge-0/0/0, Enabled, Physical link is Up
Physical interface: .local., Enabled, Physical link is Up
Physical interface: bme0, Enabled, Physical link is Up

There is an space between ":" and "[" that maybe you are omitting (mtu errors: [^0])

Without that space, it does not work.

{master:0}
root@s04-36> ...faces extensive | match "^Physical.*up| mtu errors:[^0]"
Physical interface: ge-0/0/0, Enabled, Physical link is Up
FIFO errors: 0, HS link CRC errors: 0, MTU errors: 0, Resource errors: 0

Can you double check?

Randall

Ethernet Switching

‎08-28-2019 05:15 AM

Hi

Ethernet Switching

‎08-28-2019 07:18 AM

MTU error means packets are getting dropped as the packet size is bigger than configured MTU on the outgoing interface.

It can happen if you are getting jumbo traffic with do-no-fragment bit set. Or it has some header like MPLS or GRE where fragmentation is not possible.

What is the MTU of the interface where you see this drop (show interface extensive <interface-name> | match MTU), is the MTU on this interface is smaller than MTU configured on other interfaces which is allowing the bigger packets to ingress the switch but those are getting dropped in egress direction

What is the device which is reporting this MTU error (show version brief)

Thanks//Vishal