Ethernet Switching
Ethernet Switching

interface down down or down up

[ Edited ]
‎09-18-2019 10:05 PM

Hi all,

Clients-----IP Phone-----------------EX Switch

I am aliitle bit confused...

1-) When clients are shutdown their systems, on the switch what can we see? Are associated interfaces still up up / up down or down down  we can see? 

2-) How to 100% determine the interfaces that are not being using? Because it was remote site's switch, I did shutdown 11 unused ports (if I don't remember wrong, those interfaces were up down), after 2 days 2 clients were complaining about not access anything....What is my wrong i did?

Thanks

A.

3 REPLIES 3
Ethernet Switching

Re: interface down down or down up

‎09-19-2019 02:56 AM

1-) When clients are shutdown their systems, on the switch what can we see? Are associated interfaces still up up / up down or down down  we can see? 

Assuming the phone is still on the port will be up/up even when the computer attached is down.

2-) How to 100% determine the interfaces that are not being using? Because it was remote site's switch, I did shutdown 11 unused ports (if I don't remember wrong, those interfaces were up down), after 2 days 2 clients were complaining about not access anything....What is my wrong i did?

When computers or devices are powered off the port will go up/down but the device expects the port to be available later.  You can see the last time the port status changed looking at "last flap" in the port data.  This will tell you how long an up/down port has been down which might be a clue as to how often the port has something plugged in.

show interfaces ge-0/0/2 | match flap

Last flapped   : 2019-08-24 23:46:53 UTC (3w4d 16:24 ago)

Steve Puluka BSEET - Juniper Ambassador
IP Architect - DQE Communications Pittsburgh, PA (Metro Ethernet & ISP)
http://puluka.com/home
Ethernet Switching

‎09-19-2019 09:15 AM

Hello,

If the VOIP is connected and PC/Laptop connected behind the VOIP. 

Then irrespective of whether PC/Laptop is down. The swith port should show "up up".

Before shutdown of ports on switch, it is suggested to verfiy "show ethernet-switching table" if there is any MAC address associated with that port.

If a port learns mac, then do not shut down the port.

Ethernet Switching

‎09-19-2019 11:24 AM

@