Ethernet Switching
Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

monitor traffic vlan on ex2300

‎05-28-2020 10:20 PM

helo

i am able to monitor interface on particular port..

but how do we monitor traffic on specific vlan number?

do u think ex2300 is able to perform that?

thanks

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

Re: monitor traffic vlan on ex2300

‎05-28-2020 11:02 PM

I do not see an option to monitor for the specific vlan. However, in the CLI, i do see "monitor interface vlan " command, but i do not see it displaying the stats for me. You can check on your device.

BR,

Vishal

PS: Please accept my response as solution if it answers you query, kudos are appreciated too!

Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

Betreff: monitor traffic vlan on ex2300

‎05-29-2020 01:02 AM

Hello hendranata,

monitoring the traffic by SNMP on a vlan interface is something that it restricted to the more expensive platforms, like MX series.

On some cheaper platforms like EX4200, only the ingress traffic can be monitored by SNMP, the egress traffic cannot be monitored.

However, as far as I know, monitoring the vlan interface traffic by CLI on cheaper platforms does not provide any output.

Please note that you have to have a vlan "interface" to monitor traffic in general. It is not possible to monitor the traffic just on a vlan without an interface.

--------------------------------------------------

If this solves your problem, please mark this post as "Accepted Solution".
If you think that my answer was helpful, please spend some Kudos.
Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

‎05-29-2020 07:58 AM

Hi Hendranata,

You can use port mirroring to facilitate analyzing traffic on your Juniper Networks EX Series Ethernet Switch on a packet level. You might use port mirroring as part of monitoring switch traffic for such purposes as enforcing policies concerning network usage and file sharing and for identifying sources of problems on your network by locating abnormal or heavy bandwidth usage by particular stations or applications.

Port mirroring copies packets to either a local interface for local monitoring or to a VLAN for remote monitoring. You can use port mirroring to copy these packets:

• Packets entering or exiting a port

• Packets entering a VLAN on EX2200, EX3200, EX3300, EX4200, EX4500, EX4550, or EX6200 switches

• Packets exiting a VLAN on EX8200 switches

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/concept/port-mirroring-ex-series.html

Thanks,

Deimos.

Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

‎05-29-2020 11:32 AM

Hi hendranata, 

Here is an example on how you can monitor the vlan, but you need to have a PC running wireshark to view the packet capture, 

set forwarding-options analyzer test input ingress vlan <vlan you want to mirror>

set forwarding-options analyzer test output interface ge-0/0/0

set vlans analyzer vlan-id 999

set interface ge-0/0/0.0 family ethernet-switching vlan members ge-0/0/0

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/task/configuration/port-mirroring-cli-els.h...

If you want to view the L3 traffic, monitor traffic interface irb.X no-resolve , can help , but it is more efficient to do the port mirror if available.

Hope this help! Smiley Happy

If this solves your problem, please mark this post as "Accepted Solution".

If you think that my answer was helpful, please spend some Kudos.

Regards, 

Franky

Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

‎05-30-2020 03:51 AM

if we use port mirroring.. can we measure the vlan traffic from cacti?

Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

‎05-30-2020 08:40 AM

Hi Hendranata,

Well, theoretically yes.

If you mirror ingress vlan traffic to the particular interface and then use SNMP to get the traffic statistics from this interface, it should build a graph of the ingress vlan traffic.

Thanks,

Deimos.

Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

‎05-31-2020 06:23 PM

i am still not quite clear how do we implement mirroring..

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/concept/port-mirroring-ex-series.html#jd0e1...

any body can give clear configuration sample please..

assume:

ge-0/0/0 contain vlan: 101, 102, 103

i want to trafic monitor vlan no 101 only..

thanks

Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

‎05-31-2020 07:15 PM

Hi hendranata,

You can refer below KB for guiding you configure port mirroring.

https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB10878&actp=RSS

If this solves your problem, please mark this post as "Accepted Solution" so we can help others too

Kudos are appreciated too 

Regards,

Nadeem

Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

‎05-31-2020 07:45 PM

@FrankyRko wrote:

Hi hendranata, 

Here is an example on how you can monitor the vlan, but you need to have a PC running wireshark to view the packet capture, 

set forwarding-options analyzer test input ingress vlan <vlan you want to mirror>

set forwarding-options analyzer test output interface ge-0/0/0

set vlans analyzer vlan-id 999

set interface ge-0/0/0.0 family ethernet-switching vlan members ge-0/0/0

ok will try to use port mirroring..

then i am not using wireshark, but we use cacti to draw the traffic.. does it possible to draw specific vlan no into cacti ? because we can see in the cacti we just only able to draw the ethernet port.. not specific vlan only.. 

Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

‎06-01-2020 02:11 PM

If measuring the level of traffic is what you want, would sFlow meet your needs?

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/concept/sflow-qfx-series-understanding.html

Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

‎06-01-2020 11:38 PM

i am not sure..

my goal is make specific vlan number appear in the cacti using ex2300..

seems not possible..

Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

‎06-01-2020 11:49 PM

Hi hendranata, 

Greetings, 

Cacti is a graphing tool used for representation and the configurations for port mirroring copy the network packets seen on one interface / VLAN to another port where you can monitor it. I believe you should rather check with cacti team on how to intergrate this data from the port mirroring output with cacti.

Hope this helps.

Mark "Accept as solution" if this answers your query.  Kudos are appreciated too! 

Regards, 

Sharat Ainapur

Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

‎06-02-2020 12:01 AM

@sharatainapur wrote:

Hi hendranata, 

Greetings, 

Cacti is a graphing tool used for representation and the configurations for port mirroring copy the network packets seen on one interface / VLAN to another port where you can monitor it. I believe you should rather check with cacti team on how to intergrate this data from the port mirroring output with cacti.

copy network package seen on vlan port ge-0/0/0 to another port ge-0/0/1 (even though ge-0/0/1 does not plug any utp cable). ??

Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

‎06-02-2020 12:27 AM

Hello hendrata, 

To answer your question, 

• You configure port mirroring on the switch to send copies of unicast traffic to a local interface or a VLAN and run an analyzer application on a device connected to the interface or VLAN.
  • Access interface to which packet copies are sent and to which a device running an analyzer application is connected.
  • Ideally to output this to the application you would need to connect a host/machine or as per the terminology a MONITORING STATION to this port and get the packets here. 
  • Link : https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/concept/port-mirroring-qfx-series-understan...

Hope this helps in your understanding, mark "Accept as solution" if this answers your query. 

Kudos are appreciated too! 

Regards, 

Sharat Ainapur