Switching

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  redundancy in the same chassis

Posted 08-10-2014 06:08

Hi

Instead of using two core switches with VC setup, can I use one core switch say EX9208 with all redundancy in the same chassis (e.g. 2 SREs, 2 line cards for each required line card type)? If yes, what kind of protocols I need to run on the two intefraces that are going from the core switch to the same end server?

• 2.  RE: redundancy in the same chassis
    Best Answer

Posted 08-10-2014 08:46

Yes, you can certainly use a physical chassis such as EX8200, EX9200, etc. to get redundancy in a single box.  You would run the exact same protocols as you would in a VC (typically a LAG with or without LACP), and in fact with Juniper switches the configuration looks almost exactly the same whether it is a physical or virtual-chassis.  There are some new protocols such as MC-LAG which can give even better redundancy when using two physical boxes by not tying the control-planes of the two switches together, but the physical chassis have very good internal redundancy and failover mechanisms.

Ron

• 3.  RE: redundancy in the same chassis

Posted 08-10-2014 13:23

one core switch is not a good decision. if you face any  problem with main chassis your system will be down completely. So two diffrent equipment or virtual chassis is better for redundancy

• 4.  RE: redundancy in the same chassis

Posted 08-10-2014 15:48

Thanks Hidayet for your reply, Could you plz advice what kind of failure
    that could happen on one core switch if we have redundant
    RE, redundant  interface line cards and redundant power supplies?

• 5.  RE: redundancy in the same chassis

Posted 08-11-2014 01:45

Deploying a fully-redundant chassis will circumvent 99% of most downtime issues based on any single hardware component failing, outside the catastrophic yet extremely rare backplane failure. For 100% redundancy networks deploy dual-routers(switch) with a fully redundant mesh, in which no single-link, component or even chassis can bring down your network.

• 6.  RE: redundancy in the same chassis

Posted 08-11-2014 10:05

Hi there,

In addition to that, Your fully redundant single chassis may experience outside issues like spot flooding (i.e. from burst overhead water pipe drenching that particular rack) or that particular chassis or rack overheating  (i.e. because someone did not clean the filters in time and chassis is sucking not enough air).

2 spatially redundant chassis - even in adjacent racks - is better than single chassis but obviously there is a cost/benefit analysis to be done in each particular case.

HTH

Thanks
    Alex

• 7.  RE: redundancy in the same chassis

Posted 08-10-2014 15:45

Thanks Ron,