Switching

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  reset factory default EX2200

Posted 03-15-2010 10:29

I just got an EX2200 and went through the initial configuration wizard. However , after a reboot, it did not save the config and it will not enter the initial config mode again. I have gotten into the default webUI but it won't let me change anything because it is complaining about Root authentication ( I think related to the blank password).

So, how do you reset to factory configuration?

• 2.  RE: reset factory default EX2200

Posted 03-16-2010 01:39

I hope this is a delayed response:

But you can go through this link, which will help you really

http://kb.juniper.net/index?page=content&id=KB1972&smlogin=true

Thanks

Suresh

• 3.  RE: reset factory default EX2200

Posted 03-19-2010 18:01

To load the factory default :

# load factort-default

#set system root-auth plain-text-password  |( then press enter & give the password fopr the root account )

# commit

to  activate & save any configuration you should type   " commit "

• 4.  RE: reset factory default EX2200

Posted 07-20-2010 11:52

@SSHSSH wrote:

To load the factory default :

# load factort-default

#set system root-auth plain-text-password  |( then press enter & give the password fopr the root account )

# commit

to  activate & save any configuration you should type   " commit "

That will not load factory default, it will bring the config to factory default, then add a root password. To get the system to a "factory default" config you must erase the files in the /config/ folder.  One complaint we have is that from the Junos CLI you can't replicate a true factory default config.  THis is an issue for all Junos devices (3200 , 2200, 4200 and I assume SRX, MX). It would be nice to not have to go the FreeBSD command line to do a administrative function like this. 😄

to load factory default from FreeBSD CLI:

cd  /config

rm *

reboot

• 5.  RE: reset factory default EX2200

Posted 07-21-2010 07:17

Hi BCL

Another method to achieve Factory default Conf without the need to put root password is by using "factory default" option under "maitainanace menu"  at the LCD

• 6.  RE: reset factory default EX2200

Posted 07-23-2010 11:47

@SSHSSH wrote:

Hi BCL

Another method to achieve Factory default Conf without the need to put root password is by using "factory default" option under "maitainanace menu"  at the LCD

sshssh ,

ofcourse if the switch has a lcd interface (2200s don't) then yes thats a option. What about remotly doing this?? I know what you are about to say .. why on G-ds green earth would you do that remotly? when you have 400 of them , and you run autoconfigure/autoinstallation and junos scripts to manage them you may find that you need to bring the switch back to real factory default. The switches do specific things when they are in factory default that you may need.

again I'm just happy you can do it from the command line, it would be nice to be able to do it from junos.

• 7.  RE: reset factory default EX2200

Posted 10-12-2011 07:50

I wanted to add something to this since this hits up on Google...

The command:

cd /config

rm -R *

reboot

The -R is to remove ALL files and folders.  I play in the Linux world and know this command but people might not otherwise get this off the top of their head. This will delete all files and folders within the config folder.  However, note that you will need to re-create the /config/db and /config/db/config via these commands:

> start shell

%cd /config
    %mkdir db
    %cd db
    %mkdir config

%cli
    >edit
    #commit

Thanks to the people who helped on this.

-Aaron

• 8.  RE: reset factory default EX2200

Posted 10-26-2011 13:11

this steps helped me to do a ezsetup..., even there are *marked* as shipped...

since my lab ex2200 with no lcd : 

console : use putty or kitty :

NOTE: The default serial console speed is 9600 baud.

to do the inizial config with ezsetup:

1.    Start a root shell by logging in as root and then either omit the cli command or from operations mode, type start shell
    2.    Change into the /config directory by cd /config
    3.   Delete all files from there by rm *
    4.    Reboot your device

Now you should be able to do a ezsetup...

• 9.  RE: reset factory default EX2200

Posted 11-29-2011 15:08

There have been quite a few responses to this already, you could go into the shell and delete those files but a safer bet is the request system zeroize statement which deletes most everything, including configurations, and resets to defaults w/o having to get scary int he shell. It will then reboot the device in question.

-adam