Switching

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  virtual switch with preprovisioned conf: promote line cards to routing engine and demote routing engine to line cards roles

Posted 02-07-2018 12:14

Hello community,

I have a VC with x2 4200 (member 0 & 1) and x2 4550 (member 2 & 3).In preparation for upgrading the x2 4200 to 4550, I want to promote member 2 and 3 to routing-engine and demote member 0 and 1 to linecards.

This is the current preprovisioned vc config:

set virtual-chassis preprovisioned
    set virtual-chassis member 0 role routing-engine
    set virtual-chassis member 0 serial-number WWWWWWWWWWWW
    set virtual-chassis member 1 role routing-engine
    set virtual-chassis member 1 serial-number XXXXXXXXXXXX
    set virtual-chassis member 2 role line-card
    set virtual-chassis member 2 serial-number YYYYYYYYYYYY
    set virtual-chassis member 3 role line-card
    set virtual-chassis member 3 serial-number ZZZZZZZZZZZZ

What is the less disruptive way of doing it?. I was thinking on changing the preprovisioned , so the x2 4550 are role routing-engine and x2 4200 are line-card. But then after that, not 100% it will work straightaway. Does anybody had faced the same change?

set virtual-chassis preprovisioned:

set virtual-chassis member 0 role line-card
    set virtual-chassis member 0 serial-number WWWWWWWWWWWW
    set virtual-chassis member 1 role line-card
    set virtual-chassis member 1 serial-number XXXXXXXXXXXX
    set virtual-chassis member 2 role routing-engine
    set virtual-chassis member 2 serial-number YYYYYYYYYYYY
    set virtual-chassis member 3 role routing-engine
    set virtual-chassis member 3 serial-number ZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Now giving it a second though, maybe I can do something like this

step 1)
    member 0 role routing-engine (currently master)
    member 1 role routing-engine (currently backup)
    member 2 role line-card
    member 3 role line-card

step 2)
    member 0 role routing-engine (currently master)
    member 1 role line-card
    member 2 role routing-engine (will become backup)
    member 3 role line-card

step 3)
    member 0 role line-card
    member 1 role line-card
    member 2 role routing-engine (will become mastter)
    member 3 role routing-engine (will become backup)

Do you thinki this will work? Maybe i'll need to console to the members and restart member/s? Again, this is a core chassis so i'm looking for minimum downtime.

Many thanks in advance,

Jaime

• 2.  RE: virtual switch with preprovisioned conf: promote line cards to routing engine and demote routing engine to line cards roles
    Best Answer

Posted 02-07-2018 21:12

I think both of your options are valid and can do the job.

However, for option 1, when you are switching config from non provisioned chassis to pre-provisioned chassis along with role changes, VCCPD will  restart and ask you to reloing in the devices.

By chance if the preprovisioning is not formed correctly, you might need to troubleshooting.

For option 2, even if you are doing the changes more time, you are having a complete control of the process. Hence, whenever you are switching the members, your transit traffic should remain least impacted only the management traffic may have a slight glitch during step 3. Otherwise it looks good.

I beleive you do not need to restart as per the documents available as it is a non distruptive changes.

you might want to use "request virtual-chassis reactivate" command in case of re election of master and backup master.

HTH

• 3.  RE: virtual switch with preprovisioned conf: promote line cards to routing engine and demote routing engine to line cards roles

Posted 02-08-2018 13:33

I tested it (option 2) and worked like charm. It takes a couple of minutes from the moment you applied the configuration until the roles are updated so don't panic.

Thanks a lot for the advice.

Jaime