Got the NAC
Juniper Employee
Juniper Employee
‎09-05-2008 12:36 PM
‎09-05-2008 12:36 PM

Last week, I spoke about the TNC standards at Interop Tokyo. Then I went back to the TCG booth and talked with Japanese government and enterprise customers, researchers, manufacturers, and reporters about TCG technology. There’s an amazing amount of support for TCG technologies in Japan! On the flight home, I reflected on how far we’ve come in the last few years and what lessons we can draw from this growing wave of support for TCG standards.

TCG Booth InteropTokyo 2008

A few years ago, TCG technologies like TPM and TNC were only concepts being discussed by a few people. How could we have trustworthy devices and networks? Now these technologies are globally accepted and widely used. Millions of people have a TPM in their laptop and a TNC client in their operating system. Organizations such as the U.S. Department of Defense require a TPM in every PC. How did this come about? Open standards unleashed the awesome power of human innovation and communities.

Open standards are not enough. There are many thousands of standards, most of which are unsuccessful. Successful standards solve a specific set of problems but allow extensions to encourage innovation and meet special needs. That’s what the TPM and TNC standards have done. And that’s why these standards have flourished. Vendors and customers see value in implementing the basic standards and opportunity in the many ways they can extend these standards. Eventually, communities of interest grow up. The TCG just announced the Japan Regional Forum, a place for Japanese discussion and promotion of TCG standards. This demonstrates the power of open standards.

Think about TCP/IP or WiFi. Having a single set of common standards has enabled a huge amount of innovation with products like the iPhone or iKan. That’s what TPM and TNC do: create an open platform for innovation and adaptation. Once that platform is established, then it’s just a matter of getting everyone on board and letting the innovation begin. The value of a standard is proportional to the square of the number of implementers. That exponential power is really starting to take off for TPM and TNC and other TCG technologies!

Message Edited by SteveHanna on 09-05-2008 03:39 PM