Industry Solutions and Trends
Technology is more than just networking and Juniper experts share their views on all the trends affecting IT
Juniper Employee , Juniper Employee Juniper Employee
Industry Solutions and Trends
Juniper Networks Live Demo's at MPLS & SDN World Congress
Mar 16, 2015

The time of SDN/NFV hype is past. Sure, you will still come across exaggerated claims that the cure to all your networking challenges is just a click away but the nature of the conversation has fundamentally changed. It's now grounded in fact; no longer does it reside in that other virtual world - namely PowerPoint. It's now a regular occurrence to hear of a service provider publishing news of a virtualisation strategy or an agreement to embark on a trial.

The conversation is no longer, "convince me that virtualisation is a good thing," now it's "show me how I can make it work in my network and help me quantify the benefits. And that's why a conference like MPLS & SDN World Congress and NFV & SDN World Summit (Paris 17th - 20th March) is so important to our industry. It's a great forum to hear leading technologists and engineers pushing the conceptual boundaries and one glance at the agenda shows this year is no exception. But I'm anticipating even more enthusiastic conversations happening in the exhibition hall as delegates challenge vendors to "show me" rather than "tell me" about your journey into the world of SDN and NFV.

Juniper Networks is rising to that challenge and a visit to our booth will enable you to experience five demonstrations. I've outlined each below to help you plan your time at the show. If you want to book ahead to guarantee a demonstration at a particular time then pop an email across to either Pascal Hourseau (phourseau@juniper.net) or Neil Pound (npound@juniper.net). However, you don't need to book ahead, just turn up and our team of onsite experts will make you welcome.

Contrail - Enabler for Services Topologies

Contrail VNC is the fundamental network building block for cloud systems so that Service Providers and enterprises can easily deploy new services on top of existing infrastructures federating connectivity using standards based protocols and widely adopted automation tools. Michael Langdon will demonstrate our latest technology for building robust and agile service chains to support virtual network functions and tenant based services

Multi-Vendor Virtual Network Functions

One of of the most frequent discussions regarding virtualisation concerns openness and a desire to avoid vendor lock-in. We've invited Alex Walker of Axians Networks to demonstrate the combined power of Openstack and Contrail in creating and controlling multi-vendor virtual network functions (VNF's). He will then show the unique advantages of using Contrail to connect Data Center based virtual functions with the WAN and linking together several virtual functions into a customer specific "service chain".

Slide1.jpg

Cloud VPN Service vMX - vPE

New business models are often cited as a benefit of virtualisation and Amman Kapoor and Paul Abbot will demonstrate a pay-as-you-grow model that rapidly deploys new vPE when you need it. They will also show how you can preserve all benefits with centralised L3PE For PW to L3VPN termination. In addition to performing heavy-lifting control plane work with little need for BW, they will also show how scale-out works well due to S-MPLS architecture that leverages Inter-Domain L2VPN, L3VPN and VPLS Business Virtual CPE.

Slide1.jpg

Business Virtual CPE

Virtual network functions (VNF) need not be a constraint within a datacenter. WAN optimisation, content caching and local breakout, internet offload and firewalling VNF's are best run at customer locations. We demo a service chain through a VNF running on a third-party CPE through to Juniper's virtual SRX (vSRX) running on the Contrail Cloud Platform with activation and de-activation of a customer's service chain driven via Openstack/Contrail heat templates.

Slide1.jpg

NorthStar

Our NorthStar Controller demonstration highlights dynamic Label-Switched Path (LSP) creation, explicit placement and global optimization under various scenarios utilising the IETF Path Control Element (RFC 4655, RFC 5440) architecture. We'll show use cases including diverse path provisioning, bandwidth calendaring, LSP path optimization, maintenance events creation, and interaction with Northbound REST API which enables the creation of custom applications. Tony Lin and Didier Bousser will be on hand to lead the demonstration and answer your questions.

Slide1.jpg

Top Kudoed Members