Automation

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Apstra, Paragon, and all things network automation.
  • 1.  CLI configlet - retrieve value from Xpath issues, looping

Posted 08-07-2014 07:50

So here’s one of the configlet’s I’ve been working on. A basic overview:

We have hub-and-spoke VPN tunnels between corporate and our remote locations. As we build/add more locations, we enable BGP. I have a CLI configlets which adds all the config to the remote locations no problem. I am working on one to do the same thing at corporate, but it doesn’t seem to be working *quite* how I want it.

When new tunnels are built on our corporate SRX, they are added to st0.2 multipoint interface:

interfaces {
        st0 {
            unit 2 {
                multipoint;
                family inet {
                   --- output truncated ---
                    next-hop-tunnel 10.250.250.3 ipsec-vpn st901fw_Store-VPN;
                    next-hop-tunnel 10.250.250.5 ipsec-vpn st909fw_Store-VPN;
                    address 10.250.250.1/23;
                }
            }
        }
    }

I want to scrape this config, and given the input of a store/location number, add the new BGP peer IP to the configuration:

routing-instances {
        vpn {
            protocols {
                bgp {
                  --- output truncated ---
                   group Store-901 {
                        peer-as 63901;
                        neighbor 10.250.250.3;
                    }
                    group Store-909 {
                        peer-as 63909;
                        neighbor 10.250.250.5;
                    }
                }
            }
        }
    }

The only problem that I’m having is grabbing the IP address from the “next-hop-tunnel” config. I have attached the CLI configlet, interface XML that I am going after...and here’s the XPath search that I’m using to get the IP address (referencing the $STORE variable):

/device/configuration/interfaces/interface[name='st0']/unit[name='2']/family/inet/next-hop-tunnel[matches(ipsec-vpn, '$STORE')]/name/text()

I'm looking for some expert guidance 🙂 Thanks in advance!

P.S. I'm running Junos Space 13.3R1.9

Attachment(s)

txt
    BGP_configlet.txt   2 KB 1 version
    txt
    st0_interface_config.txt   3 KB 1 version

• 2.  RE: CLI configlet - retrieve value from Xpath issues, looping

Posted 08-11-2014 20:36

I think the ability to use a variable name inside an XPath is not yet supported. If I remember correctly, you can only use certain predefined variable names inside XPath. So, you may need to get all next-hop-tunnels, iterate over them and find the matching one using VTL directives...

Anyways, I will check internally and get back...

• 3.  RE: CLI configlet - retrieve value from Xpath issues, looping

Posted 08-12-2014 03:57
    Thanks, Roshan for your response! I've found the VTL documentation to be somewhat...lacking, but I'll keep digging.

Someone told me that you had plans to support values in a CSV files or were working on using something like that with CLI configlets. Do you know if that still holds true?

• 4.  RE: CLI configlet - retrieve value from Xpath issues, looping
    Best Answer

Posted 08-12-2014 09:18

As Roshan has indicated in his reply, the approach that would most likely work would be with the use of a few VTL directives.

Take for example the following configlet text:

routing-instances {
        vpn {
            protocols {
                bgp {
    #foreach ($STORE in $LOCATIONS.split(", "))
    #set($i=0)
                    group Store-$STORE {
                        peer-as 63$STORE;
    #foreach ($IP in $IPSEC)
    #if ($IP.contains($STORE))
                        neighbor $NEXTHOPTUNNEL.get($i);
    #end
    #set($i = $i + 1)
    #end
                    }
    #end
                }
            }
        }
    }

Not the most elegant of approaches, but something that I think could be a basis for a solution.

So the changes that I have made from your original configlet is to add some additional parameters and a little bit of VTL logic.

I've created a counter $i which is an invisible parameter, and is just used to count the position within a foreach statement as it loops. 

$IPSEC is also an invisible parameter and this has an XPath /device/configuration/interfaces/interface[name='st0']/unit[name='2']/family/inet/ipsec-vpn/text()

which will return all values.

This parameter is then parsed using #foreach and then there is an if statement to check to see if the current $STORE value is contained within $IP, which is similar to the approach that you had attempted to use in your initial configlet contains(ipsec-vpn, '$STORE').

If a match is found, then the correct next-hop-tunnel address is returned using the following:

neighbor $NEXTHOPTUNNEL.get($i);

In this case, $NEXTHOPTUNNEL is another invisible parameter that is derived using the XPath /device/configuration/interfaces/interface[name='st0']/unit[name='2']/family/inet/next-hop-tunnel/name/text()

Because the $NEXTHOPTUNNEL parameter could contain multiple entries, to return the correct entry the $i counter is used as that should return the required entry.   $NEXTHOPTUNNEL.get($i)

Then the if statement is terminated, and the counter $i can be incremented, and the process continues.

Unfortunately, I've not had time to test this properly as I didn't have a valid configuration to test against, but I think that this should work.

Regards,

Andy

• 5.  RE: CLI configlet - retrieve value from Xpath issues, looping

Posted 08-12-2014 09:39
    Andy,

Thank you for taking the time to help on this. Your solution worked exactly how I had wanted! Thanks for the detailed description as well. I've been going over the Velocity docs but this really helps as well!