Junos Automation (Scripting)
Highlighted

How to trigger command to null route ip

‎06-09-2020 01:00 PM

Hello,

I am using third party network monitoring system. I want to trigger some rules like null route ip if syn or any dos attack happen. Can anyone guide me how to do it?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Re: How to trigger command to null route ip

‎06-09-2020 07:07 PM

Hi fiber9, 

Greetings, 

To my understanding, I see that you want to perform discard routing to prevent any DoS attacks (which can include a SYN attack as well).  If too many requests are received in a short period of time, the router simply discards the requests without forwarding them. The requests are sent to a router that does not forward the packets. The problematic routes are sometimes referred to as discard routes or black-holed routes

One way to do the same is to create a discard static route for each next hop used for discard routes.

A discard static route uses the discard option. 

user@host# show routing-options
static {
route 192.0.2.101/32 discard;
}

I would recommend you to read through https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/example/policy-discard-interface.html for more details.

Hope this helps. Smiley Happy

Please mark "Accept as solution" if this answers your query. 

Kudos are appreciated too! 

Regards, 

Sharat Ainapur

Highlighted

Re: How to trigger command to null route ip

‎06-09-2020 07:12 PM

Hello Fiber9,

You can configure policy-options with a match criteria to discard the routes in the event of DoS attack. In discard routing, routers are configured with rules that disallow millions of requests in a short period of time from being sent to the same address. If too many requests are received in a short period of time, the router simply discards the requests without forwarding them. The requests are sent to a router that does not forward the packets. The problematic routes are sometimes referred to as discard routes or black-holed routes. 

Please refer to the below document for more information and sample configuration.

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/example/policy-discard-interface.html

Regards,
Vishaal

Accept as Solution = cool ! (Help fellow community members with similar query be redirected here instead of them reposting again)
Accept as Solution+Kudo = You are a Star !
Feedback