Junos Automation (Scripting)

Python script of LLDP (Not using Pyezy)

‎02-04-2019 04:23 PM

Hi Junos Experts,

I have seen most of the automation script example is using cisco cdp and less example of using lldp or junos environment. Some of them using pyezy and unfortunately my current juniper environment does not have netconf. 

Is there any good lldp script that use python? Some example would be good for starting.

Thank you for your support and further advise.

4 REPLIES 4
Solution
Accepted by topic author jar
‎02-11-2019 04:11 PM

Re: Python script of LLDP (Not using Pyezy)

‎02-05-2019 04:35 AM

Hi jar,

You can mention port 22 to use SSH to connect to the device, but need the juniper modules hence PyEZ is needed on your Automation server/machine.  Outputs you get with this will include the tags from "show lldp neighbors | display xml" that you could play around with.  I've shared a couple of examples to help here.  Please check this out:

Example 1: (basic LLDP info script and output)

---------------

####START - Script to get LLDP info from a Juniper device using SSH and Python

from jnpr.junos import Device
from lxml import etree

dev = Device(host="1.1.1.1", user="labroot", password="lab123", port=22, normalize=True)
dev.open()
resp = dev.rpc.get_lldp_neighbors_information()

#NOTE: Modifying above line to "resp = dev.rpc.get_lldp_neighbors_information(normalize=False)" will give XML output
print (etree.tostring(resp,encoding='unicode'))
dev.close()

####END

Device config and CLI output:

-------------------------------------

labroot@R2> show configuration system services
ftp;
ssh;

{master:0}
labroot@R2> show lldp neighbors
Local Interface Parent Interface Chassis Id Port info System Name
xe-0/0/7 - 0c:86:10:7f:8a:00 xe-0/0/7 R4
xe-0/0/3 - 0c:86:10:7f:8a:00 xe-0/0/3 R4
xe-0/0/8 - 0c:86:10:7f:8a:00 xe-0/0/8 R4
xe-0/0/9 - 0c:86:10:7f:8a:00 xe-0/0/9 R4
em0 - c0:42:d0:24:e0:40 ge-0/0/24.0 QNC-JTAC-LSW-C15-52
xe-0/0/2 - f4:b5:2f:4a:33:00 xe-0/0/2 R3

Sample Script Output: (prints all output in one line)

------------------------------
C:\Python27>python lldp_info_basic.py
<lldp-neighbors-information style="brief"><lldp-neighbor-information><lldp-local-port-id>xe-0/0/7</lldp-local-port-id><lldp-local-parent-interface-name>-</lldp-local-parent-interface-name><lldp-remote-chassis-id-subtype>Mac address</lldp-remote-chassis-id-subtype><lldp-remote-chassis-id>0c:86:10:7f:8a:00</lldp-remote-chassis-id><lldp-remote-port-description>xe-0/0/7</lldp-remote-port-description><lldp-remote-system-name>R4</lldp-remote-system-name></lldp-neighbor-information><lldp-neighbor-information><lldp-local-port-id>xe-0/0/3</lldp-local-port-id><lldp-local-parent-interface-name>-</lldp-local-parent-interface-name><lldp-remote-chassis-id-subtype>Mac address</lldp-remote-chassis-id-subtype><lldp-remote-chassis-id>0c:86:10:7f:8a:00</lldp-remote-chassis-id><lldp-remote-port-description>xe-0/0/3</lldp-remote-port-description><lldp-remote-system-name>R4</lldp-remote-system-name></lldp-neighbor-information><lldp-neighbor-information><lldp-local-port-id>xe-0/0/8</lldp-local-port-id><lldp-local-parent-interface-name>-</lldp-local-parent-interface-name><lldp-remote-chassis-id-subtype>Mac address</lldp-remote-chassis-id-subtype><lldp-remote-chassis-id>0c:86:10:7f:8a:00</lldp-remote-chassis-id><lldp-remote-port-description>xe-0/0/8</lldp-remote-port-description><lldp-remote-system-name>R4</lldp-remote-system-name></lldp-neighbor-information><lldp-neighbor-information><lldp-local-port-id>xe-0/0/9</lldp-local-port-id><lldp-local-parent-interface-name>-</lldp-local-parent-interface-name><lldp-remote-chassis-id-subtype>Mac address</lldp-remote-chassis-id-subtype><lldp-remote-chassis-id>0c:86:10:7f:8a:00</lldp-remote-chassis-id><lldp-remote-port-description>xe-0/0/9</lldp-remote-port-description><lldp-remote-system-name>R4</lldp-remote-system-name></lldp-neighbor-information><lldp-neighbor-information><lldp-local-port-id>em0</lldp-local-port-id><lldp-local-parent-interface-name>-</lldp-local-parent-interface-name><lldp-remote-chassis-id-subtype>Mac address</lldp-remote-chassis-id-subtype><lldp-remote-chassis-id>c0:42:d0:24:e0:40</lldp-remote-chassis-id><lldp-remote-port-description>ge-0/0/24.0</lldp-remote-port-description><lldp-remote-system-name>QNC-JTAC-LSW-C15-52</lldp-remote-system-name></lldp-neighbor-information><lldp-neighbor-information><lldp-local-port-id>xe-0/0/2</lldp-local-port-id><lldp-local-parent-interface-name>-</lldp-local-parent-interface-name><lldp-remote-chassis-id-subtype>Mac address</lldp-remote-chassis-id-subtype><lldp-remote-chassis-id>f4:b5:2f:4a:33:00</lldp-remote-chassis-id><lldp-remote-port-description>xe-0/0/2</lldp-remote-port-description><lldp-remote-system-name>R3</lldp-remote-system-name></lldp-neighbor-information></lldp-neighbors-information>

Example 2: (customized LLDP neighbor info with a more friendly display)

--------------

####START - Script to get LLDP info from a Juniper device using SSH and Python

from jnpr.junos import Device
from lxml import etree
from jnpr.junos.op.lldp import LLDPNeighborTable

lldp_info = {}
dev = Device(host="1.1.1.1", user="labroot", password="lab123", port=22, normalize=True)
dev.open()
lldp=LLDPNeighborTable(dev)
lldp.get()
print ("Local Interface Parent Interface Chassis Id Port info System Name")
for keys,values in lldp.items():
lldp_info=values
if (lldp_info[5] [1] == "em0" or lldp_info[5] [1] == "me0" or lldp_info[5] [1] == "fxp0"):
print lldp_info[5] [1]," ",lldp_info[0] [1]," ",lldp_info[2] [1]," ",lldp_info[3] [1]," ",lldp_info[6] [1]
continue
print lldp_info[5] [1]," ",lldp_info[0] [1]," ",lldp_info[2] [1]," ",lldp_info[3] [1]," ",lldp_info[6] [1]
print ("\n")
dev.close()

Device config and CLI output: 

-------------------------------------

Same as Example 1

Sample Script Output:

------------------------------

C:\Python27>python lldp_info_basic.py
Local Interface Parent Interface Chassis Id Port info System Name
xe-0/0/7 - 0c:86:10:7f:8a:00 xe-0/0/7 R4

xe-0/0/3 - 0c:86:10:7f:8a:00 xe-0/0/3 R4

xe-0/0/8 - 0c:86:10:7f:8a:00 xe-0/0/8 R4

xe-0/0/9 - 0c:86:10:7f:8a:00 xe-0/0/9 R4

em0 - c0:42:d0:24:e0:40 ge-0/0/24.0 QNC-JTAC-LSW-C15-52
xe-0/0/2 - f4:b5:2f:4a:33:00 xe-0/0/2 R3

#NOTE: Play around with the spaces in quotes in the print statements.  I achieved the above output using  quotes in this order on the three print statements in the Example 2 script:

first print statement in this order of quotes - 4, 4, 10, 10 spaces after each word
2nd print statement - 14, 16, 10, 6 spaces after each word
3rd print statement - 10, 15, 10, 10 spaces

Hope this helps.

Regards,
-r.

--------------------------------------------------

If this solves your problem, please mark this post as "Accepted Solution."
Kudos are always appreciated Smiley Happy.

Highlighted

‎02-05-2019 02:35 PM
Hi sir. Noted and thank you.
My juniper device environmt does not netconf enable the only way for me to access is traditonl ssh access and netmiko. I havent apply pyez module but i was informed it must be netconf enable device to use it. Do I need netconf to be enabled to run the script above?.

‎02-05-2019 06:18 PM
Hi jar,

For the scripts I've shared, I have only enabled SSH on the device.

Regards,
-r.

--------------------------------------------------

If this solves your problem, please mark this post as "Accepted Solution."
Kudos are always appreciated Smiley Happy.

‎02-05-2019 07:23 PM
Hi sir,
I though it must be run wth netconf enabled junos devices...if this is not the case..i may test it over my environmt. I will test it and share the finding. Thank you. Will update later.