Automation

last person joined: 4 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Apstra, Paragon, and all things network automation.
  • 1.  automatic switch provisioning

Posted 12-17-2013 08:37

Hi,

I used to provision my EX4200 switches using this nice workflow:

- reset to default configuration (if necessary)

- on boot it will do DHCP

- it will respect the DHCP option "filename" and request this file through TFTP

- otherwise it will fallback and request hostname.conf or network.conf through TFTP

- the .conf file contains all the further magic to complete the provisioning task (load SLAX scripts, ...)

Well, this is what works well with Junos 11.4R5.5 Unfortunately, with

Junos 12.2+ this has changed dramatically. I seem to be forced to set

special DHCP options for Junos to load the initial TFTP file. It seems there

is no fallback to anything, neither to the old behaviour nor to a new default

configuration file to load.

Is there are better way to do it? Am I missing something obvious? How did YOU

migrate YOUR provisioning tasks from Junos 11.x to 12.2+?

Thanks

- Frank

#Autoinsallation
    #ZTP
    #TFTP
    #DHCP
    #JUNOS

• 2.  RE: automatic switch provisioning

Posted 01-13-2014 08:37

I've not had the issue with the SRX platform, but then again, I've always just loaded from the network.conf.

Have you reviewed documentation?  I'd be interested to know as we use this feature heavily.

• 3.  RE: automatic switch provisioning
    Best Answer

Posted 01-13-2014 08:54

Hi,

what I've experienced was the switch from "Autoinstallation" to "Zero-Touch-Provisioning" in Junos 12.2. The fix was to set some new options in our DHCP server. This is well documented, but I just had the wrong expectation that the Junos device would fallback to "Autoinstallation" if ZTP does not work. Apparently this is not the case.

FWIW, to make it easier and even faster to provision (new) Junos devices I started to add support to "The Foreman". It might already be available in version 1.4 of Foreman.

Thanks

- Frank