Automation

last person joined: 8 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Apstra, Paragon, and all things network automation.
  • 1.  different types of automation scripts?

Posted 08-11-2010 09:53

What is the difference between commit script, op script and event script? 

• 2.  RE: different types of automation scripts?
    Best Answer

Posted 08-11-2010 12:45

Commit scripts are run as part of the standard Junos commit process and provide the ability to change the configuration, display warnings, cancel the commit, etc.

Op scripts are essentially custom CLI commands. They are typically invoked from the CLI with the "op" command. Their uses vary but custom display commands are common.

Event scripts are run automatically in response to a Junos event. Their use can range from gathering data for troubleshooting immediately after a problem to changing the configuration in response to various events.

• 3.  RE: different types of automation scripts?

Posted 12-10-2010 11:26

Hello ccall,

I am very grateful for the response you gave me on writing a script to change a hostname on a JUNOS device . You are very reliable. I appreciate your swift response.

I would like to know what kind of scripting language can be used to execute an event script or an op script stored on a JUNOS device(an SRX for example)

I would also like to know if it is possible to use such scripts to add a new virus signature to an SRX device.

I anticipate your soonest response as usual.

Thank you.

• 4.  RE: different types of automation scripts?

Posted 12-10-2010 11:47

The same scripting languages can be used for all types of on-box Junos scripts: commit, event, and op. In all cases either XSLT or SLAX can be used. Personally, I favor SLAX, but the same functionality is possible in XSLT as well; however, the Day One Junos Automation Series provides training for SLAX only.

As far as whether or not you can update a virus definition file, I am not familiar with the process to do that in Junos, but if it is something that can be accomplished through CLI commands, rather than via the shell, then it should be possible to do it from a script as well.