Junos Space Developer
Junos Space Developer

How to re-install JS on a VM without losing configuration

a month ago

bonjour, 

after failing to upgrade from 19.2 to 19.3, we finally determined that re-installing Junos Space from scratch was the way to go. 

we run Junos Space on a Virtual Machine.

I already discussed it on the forum in another thread (Junos Space: fail to upgrade to 19.3)

Junos-Space-fail-to-upgrade-to-19-3 

My question now is: is it possible to re-install Junos Space but keeping the existing setup configuration instead of formatting the VM and completely starting from scratch ? 

I also plan to open a formal Service Request with JTAC, but was wondering if any on the forum was confronted with the same  issue. 

Thanks, 

Michel Lapointe

GIRAT

7 REPLIES 7
Junos Space Developer

Re: How to re-install JS on a VM without losing configuration

a month ago
Hello Michael,

No that won't be possible .
You will require to recreate a new VM from the deploy ova template process and reconfigure the network settings.
Regards
-Animesh
If this worked for you please flag my post as an "Accepted Solution" so others can be benefited.
Junos Space Developer

a month ago

ok - how about saving the config in a separate file and reinstall it after the full formatting and re-install ?

Junos Space Developer

a month ago
Hello Michael,

You can run the specific commands and save your network config settings in a notepad file-

There are specific config files which can tell u details about ip address used for eth0 , VIP, Dns server , NTP server .. gateway address.
Best I would suggest to request JTAC to provide commands to collect output of these configuration files.

With these files you can easily reconfigure your new space VM.

Juniper Business Use Only
Regards
-Animesh
If this worked for you please flag my post as an "Accepted Solution" so others can be benefited.
Junos Space Developer

a month ago

Are you talking about Junos Space backup here which will contain your devices and its configuration and then restore it on the new server?

-PL

@LapointeMichel wrote:

ok - how about saving the config in a separate file and reinstall it after the full formatting and re-install ?

Junos Space Developer

a month ago

@PML wrote:

Are you talking about Junos Space backup here which will contain your devices and its configuration and then restore it on the new server?

-PL

@LapointeMichel wrote:

bonjour PL, 

the technicians are more concerned about users accounts and things like that, I beleive that the switches conf will just be reloaded from the actual switches once they start talking to JS again. 

ML

Junos Space Developer

a month ago
You will not able to get only specific data from complete database and database can be restored on same release from where you took the backup.

Regards,
Pravin
Junos Space Developer

a month ago

thanks Pravin

yeah, that's pretty much what I thought. 

A case is open at Juniper. I'll keep you posted. 

Michel

@PML wrote:
You will not able to get only specific data from complete database and database can be restored on same release from where you took the backup.

Regards,
Pravin