Junos Space Developer
Highlighted
Junos Space Developer

what the fricken heck is a "key column"

‎08-15-2016 05:30 PM

I'm diving into Space and I'm working through their documentation that is, as usual, underwhelmingly helpful.  So I have like 1000 SRX220's that are deploying and Space seems like the correct platform to start building templates for them.  I'm reading about template definitions here and it's telling me that I have to create a CSV file (really???) that has all the information for each site for the templates. Great. Then when I go through through and create a definition, I can see that I can select "device specific" and load that value from the CSV file.  But the documentation says

Note: You must correctly identify the column from which the value is to be taken and the key column when you select the CSV file during the template definition creation process.

I can't find anything anywhere that explains what the key column is or how it relates to my definition.  Can someone help me? My local field SE told me this was going to be "easy" haha.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Junos Space Developer

Re: what the fricken heck is a "key column"

‎08-16-2016 06:26 AM

I agree that documentation can be a little obtuse sometimes. Hopefully we can get this going down the right track, here.  

Unless you have other requirements, the simplest way to get devices templates doing useful stuff for you is to use the "quick template" feature. (Starting with the whole 'template definition workflow thing' is like jumping into the deep end of the pool, especially if you're new to Junos Space..).

That said, check out this thread and ppt I recently posted re: templates, and see if that gets you going on the right track:

http://forums.juniper.net/t5/Junos-Space-Developer/how-to-push-configs-with-a-variable/m-p/294640#M1...

Start small (small template, small csv file), test and report back here.

Hope that helps.

/doug

--
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." --HST
Highlighted
Junos Space Developer

‎08-16-2016 04:21 PM

Doug, that helped immensely!  Thank you.

However, what do you do if, when pasting in the set commands, it rejects a bunch of them for apparently no reason?  It's got a red x next to several lines. It works find on the test SRX that I'm building the configs on.  But not so much in Space.

Highlighted
Junos Space Developer

[ Edited ]
‎08-17-2016 06:35 AM

What do *I* do ?  Well, when that happens to me I usually pound my keyboard and mutter unprintable things at the screen.

It's not effective, but it's what I usually do first.   😉

It *sounds* like you may be hitting a condition where the DMI for that device disagrees with what cli.exe on the device thinks the command should look like. (I.e. DMI-based logic in Space thinks that the CLI text you pasted in is not valid, but CLI on Junos thinks it's just great and doesn't complain.)

I recommend that you first make sure that the DMI files on your Space installation are up-to-date and/or match up with the version of Junos that you're running on those devices.  Then, try again.  (I'm not certain, but you *may* need to delete/rediscover the device you're testing against.)   If, after updating your DMI files you still hit that problem, then I urge you to open a JTAC case on this.

One other thing you can also try to work around this:  try constructing the problematic CLI line by using the "tree view" of the DMI that shows up on the right side of the screen. It should build up the command line for you, based on the DMI.  If you can get this approach to work, you still may not be out of the woods: I.e., you might run into the case where your template configuration gets committed OK, but ultimately fails when Space compares the results (emitted from the device CLI) with what it *thinks* they should look like (based on it's DMI-based view of things..)

I'm sorry that you're running into this.

/doug

p.s. any time you can post screen scrapes of the error messages, it helps, too. 

--
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." --HST
Feedback