Junos OS

last person joined: 6 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  Does Junos use all cores on a multicore RE (on MX router)

Posted 12-29-2014 07:35

Hi All

It looks like 32-bit Junos 12.3R6.6 on quad core RE-S-1800x4 only uses one core

% sysctl hw.ncpu
    hw.ncpu: 1 

(and, of course, only 3.5GB of RAM). Will it use all cores if we upgrade to 64-bit?

I wasn't able to find any info on that.

• 2.  RE: Does Junos use all cores on a multicore RE (on MX router)

Posted 12-29-2014 10:28

Our 64-bit RE-S-1800x4 shows the same:

% sysctl hw.ncpu
    hw.ncpu: 1

Judging from complaints I've seen on the j-nsp mailing list, I'd say that the RE does not take advantage of the multiple cores, but I defer to Juniper employees to provide a definitive answer.

• 3.  RE: Does Junos use all cores on a multicore RE (on MX router)
    Best Answer

Posted 01-01-2015 04:27

Hello,

@pk wrote:

Hi All

It looks like 32-bit Junos 12.3R6.6 on quad core RE-S-1800x4 only uses one core

SMP (symmetrical multi processor) capability for JUNOS is a roadmap item, please contact Your nearest Juniper Systems Engineer for more information.

@pk wrote:

(and, of course, only 3.5GB of RAM). 

You can make RPD to use more memory on RE which support it by switching on 64-bit RPD support

system {
    processes {
    routing {
    force-32-bit | force-64-bit | auto-64-bit;
    }}}

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos13.3/topics/reference/configuration-statement/routing-edit-system-processes.html

HTH

Thanks

Alex

• 4.  RE: Does Junos use all cores on a multicore RE (on MX router)

Posted 01-01-2015 07:16

Hi Alex,

Thanks a lot for the info, good to know this is on roadmap.

However I cannot understand the following phrase from your link

"Default - Routing process is enabled to use 32-bit mode if Routing Engine memory is sufficient."

What do they mean? RPD will run in which mode on quad core RE with 16GB of RAM and 64-bit Junos?

Is it a misprint and they mean 64-bit by default, if RE memory is sufficient?

• 5.  RE: Does Junos use all cores on a multicore RE (on MX router)

Posted 01-01-2015 12:51

Hello,

I believe it's a copy-paste error. The default is 32-bit RPD and 64-bit RPD can be switched on in the config if (1) 64-bit JUNOS is installed and (2) there is sufficient memory to run 64-bit RPD. 

Please open a JTAC case (now called Service Request, after new Case Manager was introduced in Dec 2014) to get the documentation corrected.

HTH

Thanks

Alex