Junos
Junos

Fan Failure EX2300-24P

‎05-27-2019 05:26 AM

We have multiple switchs that randomly give fan failres.

It only happens on 2300-24P, not on 2300-24T

They have different configs on different networks so that is not it. Has anyone else seeing this?

I have tried format installs, changing OS versions and eve Juniper sent me a replacement and it will do it.

Complty random. I have had none for 2 months then might get two in one day.

Juniper cannot find anything.

May 27 01:12:16  glswsf488-01 lcmd: sazmac_fan_periodics:554: FAN(slot = 0): Failed to read Status (fruid = 0, fanid = 0, status = -1)
May 27 01:12:19  glswsf488-01 chassisd[3451]: CHASSISD_SNMP_TRAP6: SNMP trap generated: Fan/Blower Failed (jnxContentsContainerIndex 4, jnxContentsL1Index 1, jnxContentsL2Index 1, jnxContentsL3Index 0, jnxContentsDescr Fan Tray 0 @ 0/0/*, jnxOperatingState/Temp 6)
May 27 01:12:34  glswsf488-01 chassisd[3451]: CHASSISD_SNMP_TRAP6: SNMP trap generated: Fan/Blower OK (jnxContentsContainerIndex 4, jnxContentsL1Index 1, jnxContentsL2Index 1, jnxContentsL3Index 0, jnxContentsDescr Fan Tray 0 @ 0/0/*, jnxOperatingState/Temp 2)

2 REPLIES 2
Junos

Re: Fan Failure EX2300-24P

‎05-27-2019 06:42 AM

Don't have any ex2300 but have seen the same fan failure and then clearing within a minute or so error on MX104 devices.  Since the events happen and clear so fast I just assume it is a false alarm.  But have not bothered to raise a ticket on it.  Just assume it is a software bug.

Steve Puluka BSEET - Juniper Ambassador
IP Architect - DQE Communications Pittsburgh, PA (Metro Ethernet & ISP)
http://puluka.com/home
Junos

Re: Fan Failure EX2300-24P

‎05-27-2019 11:47 AM

Hi Skula,

If the logs have only the SNMP TRAP for "Fan/Blower Failed" and "OK" status appearing randomly and not accompanying any alarms or other messages, they should be harmless. If there is a real hardware issue with the fan, there should be an active alarm on the chassis under "show chassis alarms" and show log messages will also have the alarm details like Major/Minor/set/clear. 

Also if the fans are set to high speed due to some hardware or environmental issue, it will be reported in logs and "show chassis environment".  

The below log  indicates that there was some read failure for FAN in slot 0 which may have triggered the chassisd to generate the Failure TRAP.  The chassisd process is responsible for monitoring and managing the hardware present in the physical router chassis, including: ASICs, power supplies, fans, temperature sensors, and managing hot-swap events. 

However, if the messages are frequent, there could be issue with the hardware. 

lcmd: sazmac_fan_periodics:554: FAN(slot = 0): Failed to read Status (fruid = 0, fanid = 0, status = -1)

When such logs appear please check the real status of the hardware from the CLI. If everything is fine with hardware and still logs persist, you may check with JTAC if the messages are expected in the code you are running. It seems a transient issue to me.

Regards,

Rahul Gautam 

Please mark my solution as accepted if it helped.