Junos OS

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  Firewall Filter logging on Lo0

Posted 02-20-2020 15:47

Hi, I'm playing with firewall filters, and I've applied a simple filter to lo0.

The purpose of the filter is to block SSH from all sources, except the ones I explicitly allow. It is applied to lo0 to filter traffic to the RE.

Is there a way I can see hits on this filter?

I have tried configuring 'log' and 'count', but this is apparently not supported on a loopback. At least not on the EX2200 that I'm testing with.

Is there another way to achieve this?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Firewall Filter logging on Lo0
    Best Answer

Posted 02-20-2020 17:19

HI Luke Robertson,

Greetings, I am afraid that  we don't have too many options as this is a very low-end device

The options are Syslog, analyzer, count, and log and using all of them will give you this error message:

edit interfaces lo0 unit 0 family inet]
    'filter'
    Referenced filter 'test' can not be used as Syslog not supported on the ingress loopback interface
    error: configuration check-out failed 

Referenced filter 'test' can not be used as analyzer not supported on the ingress loopback interface

Referenced filter 'test' can not be used as count not supported on the ingress loopback interface

Referenced filter 'test' can not be used as log not supported on the ingress loopback interface

Regards,
    Lil Dexx
    JNCIE-ENT#863, 3X JNCIP-[SP-ENT-DC], 4X JNCIA [cloud-DevOps-Junos-Design], Champions Ingenius, SSYB

If this solves your problem, please mark this post as "Accepted Solution" so we can help others too \:)/

• 3.  RE: Firewall Filter logging on Lo0

Posted 02-20-2020 18:05

I suspected that might be the case. Unfortunately, it's all I have to work with in my lab right now.

Just glad my understanding is right, it's just the hardware.

Thanks for your help!

• 4.  RE: Firewall Filter logging on Lo0

Posted 02-20-2020 17:23

Hi Luke,

I hope you are doing great!

Not sure if you are using a management VLAN if that is the case you can do the following

{master:0}[edit firewall family ethernet-switching filter ssh]
    root@m14-43# show | display set
    set firewall family ethernet-switching filter ssh term 1 from destination-port ssh
    set firewall family ethernet-switching filter ssh term 1 then count ssh-block

{master:0}[edit vlans mgmt]
    root@m14-43# show | display set
    set vlans mgmt vlan-id 501
    set vlans mgmt filter input ssh

{master:0}[edit]
    root@m14-43# commit check
    configuration check succeeds

{master:0}[edit]
    root@m14-43#

If this solves your problem, please mark this post as "Accepted Solution" so we can help others too 😄

Warm regards,
    Pablo Restrepo -

• 5.  RE: Firewall Filter logging on Lo0

Posted 02-20-2020 18:06

Thanks Pablo, this also looks like a good option.

Aside from platform limitations, is there any advantage/disadvantage to filtering at the management VLAN as opposed to filtering at the RE (Lo0)?