Junos OS

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
Expand all | Collapse all

How to protect the MX104 from loop and broadcast from the downstream Layer 2 network

• 1.  How to protect the MX104 from loop and broadcast from the downstream Layer 2 network

Posted 03-19-2018 00:22
      |   view attached
    Hi, I am using a Juniper MX104 router as a Gateway device for my internet cloud . In that one layer 3 interface Ge-0/0/8 is connected to the LAN core switch . When any loop happens in the network connected to ge-0/0/8 , the entire network goes down and we were not able to reach the MX from the network connected to ge-0/0/7 also . We found all the BGP sessions were lost .. The MX is reachable only after removing the loop in the network connected to ge-0/0/8 . All the switches connected to ge-0/0/8 are Huawei switches . Earlier there was a configuration issue in the Switches which created the LOOP . Now configuration issues has been solved and network is stable . We have enabled loop prevention in all the switches . We don't want this issue to be happen again . Though we have enabled all the necessary protocols in the switches to avoid loop in the network connected to interface ge-0/0/8 . We want to make sure that even any loops in the downstream network should not affect the MX104 performance . Please any one help me in protecting the MX from such incidents in future . Please find the attached topology for better understanding . Thanks in advance Regards Mahesh

Attachment(s)

pdf
    juniper network.pdf   103 KB 1 version

• 2.  RE: How to protect the MX104 from loop and broadcast from the downstream Layer 2 network
    Best Answer

Posted 03-19-2018 03:06

If your interface on the MX is layer2 you can enable storm control to hold down the interface for a specified time period during the broadcast storms and recover automatically when it is over.

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/example/storm-control-configuring-mx.html

Another method is to create a BUM filter to limit Broadcast Unknown Unicast and Multicast traffic on the interface.  This prevents the broadcast storm for overwhelming the capacity of the port.

https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB30816