Junos OS

last person joined: 7 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  How to upgrade with .gz file on MX480

Posted 07-25-2019 00:52

Hello,

I have try .gz file to upgrade the Junos. But I cannot upgrade with this extension file. How can I try the Junos with .gz file extension? We can upgrade successfully the Junos with .tgz extension. Is there any convertor software need to convert this extension?

• 2.  RE: How to upgrade with .gz file on MX480

Posted 07-25-2019 02:52

Hi,

The files with .gz extension are basically recovery software packages that you can use to recover primary compact flash drive i.e. Re-format the RE. These are the install-media you find on download section.

To use the .gz files, you need to a USB which is made bootable using the 'dd' command using the .gz file and this basically returns the device to factory default state.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Pradeep.

• 3.  RE: How to upgrade with .gz file on MX480

Posted 08-02-2019 08:42

Hello Pradkm,

Thanks for your reply. But I don't understand what do you mean. Please can you share me the documentation or the technical blog to proceed this upgrade process. Can I upgrade the MX router with .gz file directly? 

Kyawswar

• 4.  RE: How to upgrade with .gz file on MX480
    Best Answer

Posted 08-02-2019 09:07

Hi Kyawswar,

The .tgz format is the standard format of JunOS image which you can find at the website:

https://support.juniper.net/support/downloads/

There are a couple of formats for JunOS packages, you might want to give this a read while you sip some coffee:

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/topic-map/software-install-and-upgrade-overview.html#id-junos-os-installation-package-names

However, the .gz format is called install-media format, this image can be used for upgrade of the device via bootable USB:

By default, this is the boot-sequence for an MX device:

USB, compact-flash, disk, lan

So, now take a USB(atleast 4GB) make it a bootable one(third party app "rufus" can be used to make the USB a bootable one and load the image file) does the job; once it is ready follow the below:

[Refer kb https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB27369 ]

• Connect to the router console port.  This is critical for the Install Media to work on an MX device.
    • Insert the USB drive into the USB port of the router and reboot or power on.

This should get you on the new image...

Please hit kudos if that helped, mark "accept as solution" so other users with similar queries are directed here without them having to repost 🙂

Thanks & Regards,

Nex

• 5.  RE: How to upgrade with .gz file on MX480

Posted 09-11-2019 07:52

Hi Nexon,

Thanks for your solution. I got it.

Best Regards,

Kyaw Swar Soe

Network Engineer