Junos
Highlighted
Junos

J-Series support Etherchannel/LACP/802.3ad?

‎09-16-2008 06:08 AM

Hello, new to JunOS. Does a J-series router (J2350 in this case) support bonding ethernet interfaces to create Etherchannel/802.3ad links? This will link to Cat3750's. In IOS this would be port-channel X, then int foo; channel-group X.

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Junos

Re: J-Series support Etherchannel/LACP/802.3ad?

‎09-16-2008 06:14 AM

Actually, I found my answer here:

Solution Juniper J-Series routers do not support 802.3ad protocol. Only Juniper M, MX & T series support 802.3ad.

Bummer.

Highlighted
Junos

‎09-16-2008 10:19 AM

Weird enough, I found how to configure it 🙂

https://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/jseries/junos92/jseries-config-guide-basic/configuring-gigabit-ethernet-interfaces-with-quick-configuration.html

802.3ad

Specifies a “bundle” of Gigabit Ethernet interfaces on this router with which to share traffic.

To use this feature, you must already have configured an aggregate Ethernet interface, by specifying the link number as a physical device and then associating a set of ports that have the same speed and are in full-duplex mode.

Highlighted
Junos

‎09-18-2008 08:36 PM

Actually 802.3ad is not supported on J-series. That screenshot is obviously from an M or T series router (can tell because interface shows ge-0/3/0). Likely the J-web info was taken from M & T docs as well. J-Series does not support aggregate interfaces.

-Richard

Highlighted
Junos

‎09-19-2008 02:27 AM

Rkim, either you are wrong or my router is showing configuration which doesnt work or maybe this feature is only working with gigabit-ethernet interfaces?

I see 802.3ad in j-4350 in the same menu. As well as I went ahead and configured it in JunOS 9.2es.

Now I can see interfaces from ae0-ae15 and I can configure link aggregation. I of course dont know if it works or not 🙂 did not go ahead and test it....

I just went to cli and gave

set chassis aggregated-devices ethernet device-count 15;

then I could see ae0-ae15 interfaces in interfaces output also.

Thanks,

Evren

Highlighted
Junos

‎09-21-2008 06:03 PM

That is interesting. On Jseries version of JUNOS (non Enhanced Services) the 802.3ad option is definitely not there. But I just checked on JUNOS with Enhanced Services and I do see the option there for gigE interfaces. Enhanced Services version supports the concept of reths which is part of JSRP configuration. Reth uses the aggregate interface infrastructure. But as I understood it we should not be supporting 802.3ad. I will need to check to see whether we officially support this on Enhanced Services or not.

-Richard

Highlighted
Junos

‎09-24-2008 03:27 PM

It appears that beginning with JUNOS version 9.2, the J-Series does support link aggregation. But only with switching uPIMs (not the onboard ports) and only with Enhanced Services version. This is a new feature which was implemented just recently. Hope that answers this question.

-Richard

Highlighted
Junos

‎09-24-2008 03:57 PM

It might be so for 2320/2350 however in 4350 I see that it is supported in onboard interfaces as well (perhaps it supports only gigabit ethernets since it appears in gigaether-options?)

ge-0/0/1 {
        gigether-options {
            802.3ad ae0;
        }
    }
    ae0 {
        unit 0 {
            family inet {
                address 10.1.1.1/24;
            }
        }
    }

By the way, not quite related but on some juniper documentation the onboard ports are mentioned as management ports, do these ports have any deficiencies performancewise or otherwise compared to gigabit ethernet modules?

Highlighted
Junos

‎09-24-2008 08:33 PM

Yes, the onboard GigE ports in general are not capable of same performance as a uPIM port. This is due more to onboard port bus speed compared to when using a PIM.

Also although you are allowed to configure 802.3ad on ge-0/0/x, I doubt it will work properly and also doubtful that JTAC will support that.

-Richard

Highlighted
Junos

‎10-21-2008 04:23 PM

How about aggregating T-1 interfaces on a J-series? Can I replace a Cisco 2600 router with a J-series router if it is supporting 2 x T1 aggregated together?

Highlighted
Junos

‎10-22-2008 01:58 AM
That is different than ethernet channel bonding. Please try to see load balancing. You just have to setup equal weight paths to the other side over your T1 lines. (the other side shoul do the same)
Junos

‎10-22-2008 07:35 AM

I'm finding some information on MLPPP. Nothing specific to J-series T1 interfaces. ISP's will usually support MLPPP if requested. I will try it in the lab. Sorry to hijack the ethernet-bonding thread. Thanks.

Highlighted
Junos

‎10-22-2008 10:10 AM

@DJI wrote:

How about aggregating T-1 interfaces on a J-series? Can I replace a Cisco 2600 router with a J-series router if it is supporting 2 x T1 aggregated together?

Yes.  J-series supports MLPPP and MLFR for T1/E1 link aggregation.

Feedback