Junos OS

last person joined: 7 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  JUNOS Host Software and JUNOS upgrades

Posted 02-08-2018 10:44

I have an EX4600 switch.

First quick question, what exactly is the JUNOS Host Software?  I assume it is the BSD version that is running. Is this correct?

No to my issue, I just upgraded the JUNOS version and I notice that when doing a show verison the JUNOS Host Software still shows the old software version, while all other components show the new version of software.  I found another thread where others have noticed this behavior and the fix is to use force-host when running request system software add .  

My question is this, is it possible to simply upgrade the host after the upgrade has been done?  Or do I need to rerun the entire upgrade process again?

It would be nice if JunOS KB;s specified this issue, there was no mention of this that I saw in the upgrade guides.

thanks

• 2.  RE: JUNOS Host Software and JUNOS upgrades

Posted 02-08-2018 10:52

Hi,

May i know from which Junos version to which Junos you upgraded the device to?

Also, could you share your upgrade procedure and share the output of show version?

• 3.  RE: JUNOS Host Software and JUNOS upgrades

Posted 02-08-2018 11:05

upgraded from 14.1X53-D27.3 to 14.1X53-D35.3

Model: ex4600-40f
    Junos: 14.1X53-D35.3
    JUNOS Base OS boot [14.1X53-D35.3]
    JUNOS Base OS Software Suite [14.1X53-D35.3]
    JUNOS Online Documentation [14.1X53-D35.3]
    JUNOS Crypto Software Suite [14.1X53-D35.3]
    JUNOS Kernel Software Suite [14.1X53-D35.3]
    JUNOS Packet Forwarding Engine Support (qfx-ex-x86-32) [14.1X53-D35.3]
    JUNOS Routing Software Suite [14.1X53-D35.3]
    JUNOS SDN Software Suite [14.1X53-D35.3]
    JUNOS Web Management Platform Package [14.1X53-D35.3]
    JUNOS Enterprise Software Suite [14.1X53-D35.3]
    JUNOS py-base-i386 [14.1X53-D35.3]
    JUNOS Host Software [14.1X53-D27.3]

Process

Copied new software to /var/tmp

run:

request system software add /var/tmp/jinstall-ex-4600-14.1X53-D35.3-domestic-signed.tgz

run:

request system reboot

Should the Host Software been upgraded as well? Is there a possible issue why it didnt update or does force-host always need to be included?

• 4.  RE: JUNOS Host Software and JUNOS upgrades
    Best Answer

Posted 02-08-2018 11:15

Hi,

Please refer to this document:

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/task/installation/qfx-series-software-upgrading-cli.html

Note: On QFX5100 and EX4600 switches (ex46xx in your case), the Host OS is not upgraded automatically, so you must use the force-host option if you want the Junos OS and Host OS versions to be the same.

However, pay attention to these notes regarding Junos OS and Host OS versions:

• The Junos OS and Host OS versions do not need to be the same.
    • During an ISSU, the Host OS cannot be upgraded.
    • Upgrading the Host OS is not required for every software upgrade, as noted above.

• 5.  RE: JUNOS Host Software and JUNOS upgrades

Posted 02-08-2018 13:01

Thank you for the link, that explains it. 

I am curious though, do you know of the reason why the host os is not upgraded automatically on the EX4600?  Would there ever be a reason  I would not want to upgrade the host software? 

Oh and it doesnt appear the documentation mentions this, but can I upgrade just the Host Software after the initial upgrade or do I have to run complete upgrade again?

• 6.  RE: JUNOS Host Software and JUNOS upgrades

Posted 02-08-2018 20:33

I believe the reason was for hitless in-service-sw-upgrade(H-ISSU) & for vJUNOS/CentOS Host provisioning on RE and a couple of other s/w comp design factors to that lead our dev team to do so. 🙂 

I haven't checked onto installing host package separately (request system software add <package>) but a hostOS upgrade would require device reboot - as the doc mentions: you must use issue "force-host" to have Junos OS and Host OS versions to be the same.

• 7.  RE: JUNOS Host Software and JUNOS upgrades

Posted 02-09-2018 10:36

Thanks again Karan!

• 8.  RE: JUNOS Host Software and JUNOS upgrades

Posted 02-09-2018 19:57
    Whenever you would like use force-host knob to upgrade host, you need to re run the entire process upgrade and reboot with only addition being the "force-host" in request system software add command..
    Just fyi..