Junos
Junos

Junos CoS on MX, MF + hierarchical policer - is this the right idea?

‎05-16-2017 07:33 AM

Hi all,

I'm new to Junos CoS and struggling with creating ingress policer for a customer that is allowed to send traffic belonging to 4 different classes: voice (30%), data-1 (20%), data-2 (20%), best effort (30%). It should meet following objectives:

- at parent level police customer traffic to let's say 10 Mbps

- customer is allowed to send traffic belonging to 4 different classes: voice (30%), data-1 (20%), data-2 (20%), best effort (30%)

- each traffic type goes to its own forwarding-class

- voice traffic should be policed to 30%, excess traffic should be discarded

- data-1 and data-2 should be policed to 20%, but they can use additional bandwidth up to parent level (10 Mbps) if it's available. Once it gets above contract it should get remarked to forwarding-class BE.

My idea was to create multi-field classifier, where I match certain traffic and assign forwarding-class. Also, traffic in data-1 and data-2 is policed here.

Depending if it's in-contract or out-of-contract, it is assigned appropriate forwarding-class. 

Another part of the solution would be hierarchical-policer with aggregate set to 10 Mbps and premium to 2 Mbps. 

Does it sound right, or I got it totally wrong? Smiley Happy I'm having some implementation issues, but before I get into this I wanted to make sure the idea is right.