Junos OS

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  Junos in Primary and Back up partition

Posted 11-29-2018 17:42

Hi everyone,

Is there a way we can have same copy of JUNOS in back up partition as we have in Primary partition?

Background:

we have EX4200 in Virtual chassis, with two members, we had a power issue but when power came up, Virtula chassis was  broken  because switches were booted from back up partition which had different JUNOS version.

Thanks,

• 2.  RE: Junos in Primary and Back up partition

Posted 11-29-2018 18:50
    Yes, use the system snapshot command after you’ve booted into the correct version on both members.

request system snapshot slice alternate

• 3.  RE: Junos in Primary and Back up partition
    Best Answer

Posted 11-30-2018 03:08

You can also configure the auto snapshot option that will keep the snapshots in sync as the configuration changes.

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos12.3/topics/reference/configuration-statement/auto-snapshot-edit-system.html

• 4.  RE: Junos in Primary and Back up partition

Posted 12-02-2018 16:33

Hi Spuluka.

I Just want to confirm my understanding is correct

set system auto-snapshot.

The above command will perform followings:

1) When even there is a change in the config,  alt config folder gets updated. 

2)  If some reason, router boots up from Secondary , then command also overwrite root and config folders with the contents of alt root and alt config.

The link you have provided does not say anything about (1).   I am assuming but this is how it works eventhough link does not say anything it.

Also when we use set system auto-snapshot, does it also copies JUNOS packages from /root to ALT/root ? or do we have to use request system snapshot?

Appreciated all the help!!

• 5.  RE: Junos in Primary and Back up partition

Posted 12-03-2018 03:52

The operational command

show system auto-snapshot

Will list separately if the configuration and system snapshots are engaged on the platform.

I am not sure which platforms and versions engage both.

• 6.  RE: Junos in Primary and Back up partition

Posted 12-03-2018 07:25

Auto-snapshot simply rewrites the secondary partition with the new primary in the event of a failed boot and saves you the trouble of having to do it manually. There is no alt configuration partition -- /var and /config are shared by the two roots.

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/concept/switch-resilient-dual-root-partitions.html

• 7.  RE: Junos in Primary and Back up partition

Posted 12-03-2018 07:34

Thanks,

So on SRX 650, when I run the command show system auto-snapshot, I see:

Auto-snapshot configuration Enabled

Auto -snapshot State: Disabled

What about JUNOS? Is it not backed up?

Thanks

• 8.  RE: Junos in Primary and Back up partition

Posted 12-03-2018 08:29

That simply means auto-snapshot is neither in progress nor been executed in the past.

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/reference/command-summary/show-system-auto-snapshot.html