Junos OS

last person joined: 7 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  M120 JTAC recommended and EoS dates

Posted 02-15-2017 03:33

Hi. Can anyone advise on more detailed information and future assessments regarding EoS Junos versions and JTAC recommended versions because the M120 version we have upgraded to 13.3R9 (well nearly, one PE left to go) is JTAC recommended but EoS ends on 22/07/17.

We can obviously stick with 13.3R9 but we need to/want to upgrade our switches (EX4200s) to JTAC recommended (15.1R5) as they are on 12.3R6.6 and EoS is 31/7/2017 – so knowing if the PEs will get a JTAC recommended version bump soon, to say 15.1 or a.n.other version, would mean a whole estate upgrade and could be wrapped up into the switch upgrade work.

The M120 JTAC recommended version and the EoS date are very close to say the least (I realise the M120s are EoL and long in the tooth but our tech refresh of our core will not beat the EoS dates).

Regards

• 2.  RE: M120 JTAC recommended and EoS dates

Posted 02-15-2017 03:43

Hi Sipart,

You can read about the procedure regarding choosing the EOLs etc in the below document;

http://www.juniper.net/support/eol/990833.pdf

Regarding the EOL dattes you can check in below site;

http://www.juniper.net/support/eol/junos.html

And the recommended version can be checked on below kb;

https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB21476&actp=search

HTH

• 3.  RE: M120 JTAC recommended and EoS dates

Posted 02-15-2017 03:59

Hi thanks for the information. I was aware of these already.

They don't help with the situation we are in and the general question I had. I suspect we just have to sit and wait and see if the M120 JTAC version is updated with something beyond 13.3R9 in good time before 13.3R9 goes EoS.

If it is the case that because the M120 is EoL then the JTAC recommend version will not go beyond 13.3R9 then that gives us the answer we need and we know where we stand.

Although versions for the M120 go up to 15.1 so I assume the JTAC recommend version could and would change?

It’s the timing of that change which I am really after some guidance on?

Cheers

• 4.  RE: M120 JTAC recommended and EoS dates
    Best Answer

Posted 02-21-2017 04:16

I've run into this situation before as well.  And what I understand is that the JTAC recommended version is an independent determination by the support unit without any regard to EOS/EOL status.  

They have some kind of internal process based on actual customer call levels and serverity of issues that feed their recommendation.  And they do not adjust this with regard to availability of the release due to EOL of the version.

So from a practical standpoint we users need to choose to run the recommended version or keep up with the current version of code when these transitions are out of sync.

One factor to remember is that the JTAC organization will NOT shut down your support request ONLY because you have an EOL version of Junos.  So if you keep the recommended version beyond the EOL date you can still open tickets and get support on devices with a contract.  

But if the specific issue you report in that ticket is covered by a known PR bug then you will be simply told to upgrade for that ticket.