Junos
Junos

MPC7E Information

‎06-13-2019 09:03 AM

Hi There,

I was trying to find deep information about an MPC model that we just purchased: the MPC7E-MR-RTU-IRB.

Based on the name I reach this:

MR -> Multi Rate
RTU -> right-to-use (RTU)
IRB -> IR Base

IR license should support:

• All Layer 2, Layer 2.5, and Layer 3 features.

• Up to 32 Layer 3 routing instances of the virtual routing and forwarding (VRF) instance. The VRF support includes Layer 3 VPN (L3VPN).

The base

• All Layer 2, Layer 2.5, and Layer 3 features.

• Up to 32 Layer 3 routing instances of the virtual routing and forwarding (VRF) instance. The VRF support includes Layer 3 VPN (L3VPN).

• Up to 2 million routes in the forwarding information base (FIB), provided there is hardware support. (FIB is also known as forwarding table.)

• Up to 6 million routes in the routing information base (RIB), also known as routing table.

So I do not see any limitation in deplyoing VPLS.

Could you please confirm?

More, does someone know what is the meaning of RTU (Right To Use)?

Finally, I understood that activate the license is just for information purpose.

Did I understand correctly?

"

Configuring the license mode enables you to distinguish between an MPC with an IR license and an MPC with an R license after the MPC is installed on the router. An MPC with an R license supports all the Layer 2, Layer 2.5, and Layer 3 features. An MPC with an IR license offers partial support for these features.

The license mode settings are used only to provide information. You cannot set or alter the license of the MPC when you configure the license mode."

Thank you all!

4 REPLIES 4
Junos

Re: MPC7E Information

‎06-13-2019 09:46 AM

Hi FabNewCert,

Below is what I could find

MR -> Multi Rate

RTU à Restricted use (Pay as you grow MPC) ie MPC with limited number of ports licensed for use

IRB à L3, L2 and L2.5 features; Full IP FIB for advanced peering/transit and infrastructure VPN; 32 VPNs per MPC

Regards,

Jibu

Junos
Solution
Accepted by topic author FabNewCert
‎06-14-2019 04:16 AM

‎06-13-2019 12:04 PM

The RTU means that you are only allowed to use the first 6 x 40G QSFP ports (or 2 x 100G). Additional 3 x 40G  ports can be purchased via the 'S-MPC7E-MR-IR-ADD1' SKU.

The licensing scheme for MPC7E allows you to use all features except JFLOW, HQoS and Per-vlan queuing up to the scaling you already mentioned. In your case you can deploy up to 32 VPLS instances (32 VPNs) on the MPC.

If your need more than 32 VPNs (VPLS or L3VPN) you can buy an upgrade via the  'S-MPC7E-MRATE-R' SKU + matching support (SVC-COR-S-MPC7E-R / PAR-SUP-S-MPC7E-R). That will give you up the the hardware limits of the MPC (several thousands).

IR scaling on MPC7 is around 10 mio routes in FIB and RIB depends on your routing-engine.

Above licensing are all honor-based so you don't install a license and you will not get a warning when configuring eg. 33 VPNs... but you must still comply with the licensing and buy the upgrade if needed. Same for the remaing 6 x QSFP ports.

--
Best regards,

Jonas Hauge Klingenberg
Systems Engineer, SEC DATACOM A/S (Denmark)
Junos

‎07-22-2019 07:47 AM

Jonay, hello!

Do you know, how many sessions and queues MPC7E support(QoS)?

Sincerelly, Vlad.

Junos

‎07-22-2019 08:17 AM

The base MPC7E allows you to use 8 queues per physical port.

To enable up to 32K queues across the icensed ports you will need the 'S-MPC7E-PVQ'. Full scale HQoS with 512K queues per MPC is reached via the 'S-MPC7EQ-MR-RTU-IR' license.

There is no upgrade SKU from Per-vlan-queuing (PVQ) and enhanced queuing (EQ) and the licenses are the same across both RTU and "all ports" MPCs.

The PVQ license can only be bought for the entire MPC where EQ license can be bought matching the RTU-version of the card.

Also remember the matching support SKUs for these licenses as they are not covered by the hardware support.

I hope this helps clarifying Smiley Happy

--
Best regards,

Jonas Hauge Klingenberg
Systems Engineer, SEC DATACOM A/S (Denmark)